The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm studying to be an herbalist, and we were given the choice of any subject to write a paper on, but it needs to be 40+ pages so something we can write in-depth about, and something no other past student has chosen as their topic. Since I am a new goat mom, and no one has covered it before, I chose Herbal Medicine for Goats as my subject! It's not due until August...I figured my goats would probably have some problems for me to experiment with for my paper but honestly besides a little bit of Orf when I first got them (which I treated with cannabis oil topically - not sure how effective it was though it still took about 3 weeks for it to go away), they've been healthy lil babies. Oh and one of mine had a cough of unknown origin which I treated successfully with the TCM formula Ban Xia Hou Po Tang. But I could maybe only get 7 pages out of that so I need more to write about. I figured I'd put my feelers out in this forum!

So, Questions!
What ailments have you had to deal with for your goats?
Which herbal remedies have you tried?
Which herbal remedies have been successful?
Has anyone compared the effectiveness of their herbal remedies with pharmaceuticals from the vet/doing nothing at all?
How did you try/come across these herbal remedies for your goats - was it recommended thru a forum, did you read it in a book, etc?

Thank you so much! <3

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,261 Posts
Very interesting! @NigerianDwarfOwner707 might have some suggestions for you.

The first thing that comes to mind for me is herbal dewormers. I use Land of Havilah herbal parasite formula which I found out about from this forum. I have used it pretty successfully for the past two years, but right now I'm in the process of rethinking my herbal regimen because it just hasn't been working like as well as it should be. I'm not exactly sure why, but I think it might be some other management factors. I have not had the opportunity to test it against chemical wormers.

Good luck with your paper!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very interesting! @NigerianDwarfOwner707 might have some suggestions for you.

The first thing that comes to mind for me is herbal dewormers. I use Land of Havilah herbal parasite formula which I found out about from this forum. I have used it pretty successfully for the past two years, but right now I'm in the process of rethinking my herbal regimen because it just hasn't been working like as well as it should be. I'm not exactly sure why, but I think it might be some other management factors. I have not had the opportunity to test it against chemical wormers.

Good luck with your paper!
Thanks! I will look into that company and what formulas they use.

·
Registered
841 Posts
We also use Land of Havilah herbal wormer. Haven’t needed to worm chemically in over a year for a majority of the herd (still use wormer the day after a doe kids).

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
A lot of folks use essential oils in combination with herds.
I use red raspberry leaves with all my pregnant does and doelings for uterine health and toning. It's worked very well for me since I added it to my pregnancy care routine. I've had easier deliveries and recovery times.
@happybleats might have some great ideas for you. Or @goathiker is very knowledgeable too.

·
Registered
30,219 Posts
We too use Land of Havilah Parasite formula for 4 or 5 years now. I add wild orange eo to help with BP egg reduction as it has been found to cause deformation of the eggs. I also add other ess. Oils during peak worm season. I keep several herbal blends on hand and have used successfully in my animal care..most are LOH blends. Back on Track and Herbamins to name a few. I'm not an herbalist and only blend my own blends when I have a trusted formula. My knowledge is "still learning" stage ;)

·
Registered
30,219 Posts

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Oregano as an antibiotic/anti viral. I used to to cure a nasty pneumonia that a new goat brought to my herd, even though in quarantine. Nothing was working, not antibiotics I got from the vet nor garlic and I lost 2 of my best does. I read about oregano being used as an antibiotic/antiviral and gave it a try. It worked, and now I use it in place of chemical antibiotics. I also used it to help with a goat who had chronic mastitis. Cleared it up. It also reduced her BP worm load, as she was one of those who also had a chronic worm issue. I add the herb to their grain and they scoff it right up. You can buy it in a liquid form made for livestock and poultry for the same reasons. It is also said to be a good dewormer and cocciostat.

Chastetree berry/Black Cohosh- I had no luck with cystoelin, lutylase, penicillin for a goat who had been in heat non stop since August. I searched for something to help stabilize the female reproductive tract in my numerous herbal medicine books and came up with these 2 herbs. I started adding these to her grain and it actually stopped her months long standing heat! It remains to be seen if she will come into a normal heat so I can breed her, but at least she is not a dripping, oozy, screaming ho now so the bucks have calmed down.

I used Mullein for my horse with heaves, as I had been reading up on herbs for asthma for me and figured this might help her also. It helped her breathing a lot. It grows around here as a weed, so it is everywhere. I just harvest it, dry it and use it as needed.

Reactions: Coffee&Chickens

·
Registered
946 Posts
Staph infection, lung worm, snotty noses

Land of Havilah herbal dewormer,
Dr. Christopher's Resp-Free - used in conjunction with the LOH herbs to treat lung worm, and also used any time I have a goat with a cough.
Raw garlic cloves - a general tonic. This is something I have used a lot here during the cold weather. I had several goats with sniffly noses that cleared up pretty quickly when I gave the garlic. I will give garlic for any sort of cough or respiratory symptoms.
Fresh sage, oregano, thyme - tonic, respiratory issues/cough, if I suspect a heavier than normal worm load.
Mullein leaf, fresh or dried - for cough
Tea tree oil - treating staph infection
Phytolacca- homeopathic, for treating mastitis
Garlic tea - strong, garlic infused water, given orally, for treating mastitis

I have noticed a difference with all of them, except the ones I used for mastitis. I ended up using Pen G and udder infusions to get the mastitis cleared up. I don't know if it's because the natural stuff wasn't strong enough, or just wasn't targeting the right thing, but I didn't notice much improvement at all from the natural treatments.

Has anyone compared the effectiveness of their herbal remedies with pharmaceuticals from the vet/doing nothing at all?
See above regarding the mastitis.
I have also treated staph with a 10% bleach solution, applied to the infection daily, and treated it (same goat, she got it a second time) with a five day course of zinc, plus several garlic cloves a day, in addition to a solution of 7 drops of tea tree oil in 5 tsp. olive oil, applied to the infection daily. The latter remedy seems to have cleared it up a bit more quickly, and with less irritation to the surrounding skin. Time will tell if I've licked it for good or not! I'm planning to keep applying the tea tree oil maybe 1x a day til that doe freshens again, to try to keep the staph from recurring.
I used only the herbal remedies outlined above with a doe who was symptomatic for lungworm, per fecal. I have just recently been treating a buckling with lungworm symptoms using a combination of herbals and ivermectin. His lung worm was never confirmed by fecal, but his symptoms were exactly like the doe. The herbals helped, but he wasn't bouncing back as quickly as I would have liked to see, so I gave him ivermectin, too. His recovery was much quicker after the ivermectin. It has been almost 2 weeks since his second dose of ivermectin, so I'm thinking I should run a fecal to see where we're at. It's been a rough couple of weeks, so anything that wasn't strictly essential has just been sidelined for the moment.

How did you try/come across these herbal remedies for your goats - was it recommended thru a forum, did you read it in a book, etc?
Read a lot here on TGS, and did a lot of research online, too. My family and I have been using herbs on ourselves for years, so I just apply a lot of that knowledge to the goats.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lo
Staph infection, lung worm, snotty noses

Land of Havilah herbal dewormer,
Dr. Christopher's Resp-Free - used in conjunction with the LOH herbs to treat lung worm, and also used any time I have a goat with a cough.
Raw garlic cloves - a general tonic. This is something I have used a lot here during the cold weather. I had several goats with sniffly noses that cleared up pretty quickly when I gave the garlic. I will give garlic for any sort of cough or respiratory symptoms.
Fresh sage, oregano, thyme - tonic, respiratory issues/cough, if I suspect a heavier than normal worm load.
Mullein leaf, fresh or dried - for cough
Tea tree oil - treating staph infection
Phytolacca- homeopathic, for treating mastitis
Garlic tea - strong, garlic infused water, given orally, for treating mastitis

I have noticed a difference with all of them, except the ones I used for mastitis. I ended up using Pen G and udder infusions to get the mastitis cleared up. I don't know if it's because the natural stuff wasn't strong enough, or just wasn't targeting the right thing, but I didn't notice much improvement at all from the natural treatments.

See above regarding the mastitis.
I have also treated staph with a 10% bleach solution, applied to the infection daily, and treated it (same goat, she got it a second time) with a five day course of zinc, plus several garlic cloves a day, in addition to a solution of 7 drops of tea tree oil in 5 tsp. olive oil, applied to the infection daily. The latter remedy seems to have cleared it up a bit more quickly, and with less irritation to the surrounding skin. Time will tell if I've licked it for good or not! I'm planning to keep applying the tea tree oil maybe 1x a day til that doe freshens again, to try to keep the staph from recurring.
I used only the herbal remedies outlined above with a doe who was symptomatic for lungworm, per fecal. I have just recently been treating a buckling with lungworm symptoms using a combination of herbals and ivermectin. His lung worm was never confirmed by fecal, but his symptoms were exactly like the doe. The herbals helped, but he wasn't bouncing back as quickly as I would have liked to see, so I gave him ivermectin, too. His recovery was much quicker after the ivermectin. It has been almost 2 weeks since his second dose of ivermectin, so I'm thinking I should run a fecal to see where we're at. It's been a rough couple of weeks, so anything that wasn't strictly essential has just been sidelined for the moment.

Read a lot here on TGS, and did a lot of research online, too. My family and I have been using herbs on ourselves for years, so I just apply a lot of that knowledge to the goats.
Lots of great info, thanks! And I love you for using the question/answer format :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you soooo much to everyone who has responded so far :D! I definitely have a clearer idea and a more narrow focus for my paper, plus lots of fun research trails to go down!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts