The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi. Our family is new to goats. We have our first pregnant doe ready to kid. She began laying down on Sat, And having scours. I thought maybe she was just preparing for labor. But, she hasn’t moved much since then. She is too weak to stand. She is pooping where she lays. I’ve been cleaning her and feeding her and giving her water. She’s eating ok but not as much as she should. A friend told me to check her gums and give “Red cell” (iron supplement) because she has white-ish gums. I’ve also given her some Molasses. When I checked on her an hour ago, she had a bunch of ants all around her anus and vulva. There’s no discharge. She’s been laying since Sat and this is the first time this happened with ants. My gut thought, oh no, maybe the baby is dead inside. What are your thoughts? Her tail ligaments are completely laxed since yesterday. I haven’t seen contractions yet. She sounds weak, some moaning. Could she just not have enough energy to birth? What should I do? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Scours could be from several causes. Has she been dewormed? Has she gotten different feed, or been allowed to go on new lush pasture? Do you think it could be coccidia?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Also gums are not an accurate indicator or anemia. It's best to check FAMACHA scores on the lower inner eyelids. You're looking for them to be deep pinkish red.

·
Registered
407 Posts
You must have overfed the goat. Fat goat is very difficult to give birth to a child. Call your vet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don’t think I overfed her. If anything, not enough maybe. Thank you for the input. Sadly, I was just with her and watched her take her last breath. We had just gotten her in November. Nobody knew any info on her. Thank y’all. Have a good night.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
So, a late welcome to this forum, to you and your poor doe. Something must have been very wrong. I doubt it that "only" a dead kid could have caused those symptoms. And ANTS??? Poor doe!

I hope your next entry here will be more joyful! :) Photo of your other goats, perhaps?

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Oh no I am so so sorry for your loss :( it could have been so many things from parasites to feed change (even if the hay you were giving was just a little better quality then she was used to) to even something toxic that was hiding in her pen or her feed. Again though I am so very sorry.
I do invite you though to hang out on this group since you are new to goats. You can read and learn so many different things just by reading issues or questions of others. That’s what I did when I was first into goats and I had to say I have learned a lot here. People are very welcoming here and if you have a question just ask and someone will answer it.
Again I am so very sorry for your loss :hugs:

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I am so sorry.

I do invite you though to hang out on this group since you are new to goats. You can read and learn so many different things just by reading issues or questions of others. That's what I did when I was first into goats and I had to say I have learned a lot here. People are very welcoming here and if you have a question just ask and someone will answer it.
:up:

@Sitton Pretty Farm since you are new to goats, the articles on this page have some very good info about goat care: http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/articlesMain.html. Reading them should help you a lot. Remember to come here if you have any questions or just to hang out/talk about goats!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hair Skin Smile Iris Happy
Vertebrate Goat Plant Mammal Grass
Eye Goat Human body Goat-antelope Working animal
Eye Goat Terrestrial animal Goat-antelope Snout
So, a late welcome to this forum, to you and your poor doe. Something must have been very wrong. I doubt it that "only" a dead kid could have caused those symptoms. And ANTS??? Poor doe!

I hope your next entry here will be more joyful! :) Photo of your other goats, perhaps?
Here's "Roxy" and her 6day old doeling.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts