The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came home tonight and my buck (who is a little on thin side attributed to pasture not as Rich and breeding season, I've now for a round bale out) went to eat grain and fell over almost seizing and couldn't get up. He's pale in color. But them comes out of it (not standing up) but trying to eat. He was wormed about 3 weeks ago (fenbwmsazw)and has been vaccinated.tonoght he did have someucoid discharge out of his eye.
Worried! Please thoughts

·
Super Moderator
58,875 Posts
What dosage of Fenbendazole did you give him? What did you vaccinate him with and when? What is his temp? Did you have a fecal done to include coccidia?

·
Registered
30,588 Posts
could he have choked while eating?? it can look very scary..they panic which makes it worse and thye cant breath and so some can fall over..once the obstruction is taken care of the relax..some act as if nothing happened..otehrs can become bloated do to the rumen interuption...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Panacur from vet. Vaccines were done end of April. It's weird bc he acts ok for 15-20
Minutes then stiffens up and acts like he's incoherent sort of. Then back to nibbling chewing Cud etc. even wagging his tail. His color scares me. Yes cocci fecal was done earlier summer but I have had coccidia in past so I try to keep close eye. Anything I should do to boost him? I had some honey which he went crazy for to help boost his blood sugar so that wasn't causing any issues.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Doesn't seem to act like trouble breathing more like he wants to get up and can't then gets weak.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
I agree, start treatment for polio and listeria.

Get a fecal for worms and cocci to see where he is at in case.

He will need an iron supplement too.

I would have a vet look at him for a blockage in the throat as well. In case it is blocking off air supply at times.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i agree with the thiamine injections and if he is thin he probably does have a worm load. toth is right get a fecal asap so you can eliminate what it isnt. once he is wormed i would up his calorie intake for sure. what breed is he? any myotonic in him? just another thought.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He's eating and trying to get up and managing to semi. No more "seizure type"episodes.
Still pale. On abx, fenbendazole and ivomec plus and b12. Eating great drinking great. Just not up all the way.a vet was concerned with menengial worm? Never had experience with this.
He's pygmy. Registered.
Much more alert today. Talking to me etc...

·
Registered
30,588 Posts
Menegial worm is deer worm..do you have white tail deer in your area? The treatment looks correct for it..I would add thiamine (B 1) ...
glad he is improving

·
Registered
30,588 Posts
Your vet should carry Thiamine or you can get fortied B complex which has a good amount in it...

I would do the white wormer and Ivomec for 7 days..also an anti-inflammitory such as Dex to banamine...here is a article on this..its very good info..
http://goatconnection.com/articles/publish/article_126.shtml

·
Registered
30,588 Posts
Here is the treatment quote from that article..

Treatment of meningeal worm infection is most successful when instituted early in the course of disease. A treatment regime (Table 3) which has proven successful at the Ohio State University involves fenbendazole (valbazen or safeguard) (20 to 50 mg/kg body weight, PO, q24h for 5 days) and flunixin meglumine (banamine) (1 mg/kg, IV, IM, or SC, q12h for 5 days) or dexamethasone in non-pregnant females and males (0.1 mg/kg, IV, IM, or SC, q24h for 3 days). DMSO (1g/kg given in 500 ml of 5% dextrose solution, IV, q24h) given to effect is useful in some cases but may cause severe appetite suppression. Discontinue DMSO if inappetance or anorexia occurs. Vitamin E, selenium, Vitamins B-complex, and Vitamin A are useful to assist healing of neural tissues.
Ivermectin is most effective against larval stages prior to their entrance into the spinal cord, since it does not readily cross the blood-brain barrier.1,2,11 However, damage to nervous system tissues during larval migration may alter the blood-brain barrier. Although no clinical problem has been identified to date, we have been concerned for the possibility of ivermectin toxicity in these cases. The antiinflammatory drugs are critical to reduce the inflammation associated with the presence of the migrating larvae and the subsequent inflammatory response to the killed larvae. Use of antiinflammatory drugs is important to prevent the clinical signs from becoming more severe after instituting treatment.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Has anyone ever had a goat or dealt with menengial deerworm?what are odds of coming out of it? Everything I read doesn't sound good

·
Super Moderator
58,875 Posts
If you catch it early enough and do the proper treatment, they can recover. It is a long process. I would follow up with more Safeguard 10 days after the last dosage. Use liquid and dose at 1cc per 7 lbs.

·
Super Moderator
58,875 Posts
You have to keep getting them up several times per day.

When I took care of a couple alpacas recovering from it, I went out and got them up every 2 hours all day long till bedtime.

·
Registered
30,588 Posts
Like Karen said its a long road..The article talks about prognosis...its going to be hard..but hopefully you caught it fast enough..Getting him up with slings and moving him and working his leg muscles will increase his chances ...best wishes

1 - 20 of 22 Posts