The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a sick 3 month old buck. he is acting off laying down all the time will get up and eat a few bites but will go off and lay down by himself. havent got a temp on him but his eyelids are pink but his tounge is grayish. no runny poop. he lost his mom suddenly about a month ago not sure why. can i treat for cocci even though he has no runny poop? if so what can i give him and how much for how long? i need something to give orally i cant give shots thank you

·
Registered
30,576 Posts
A temp wouldbe helpful..if he has puenomia he will need antitobiotics and that will be a shot...temp should be 101.5-103.5....
yes you can trest for cocci ....OTC choices are Dimethox and sulmet...corid in a pinch..Baycox is the best choice but needs to be ordered...If you can have a fecal done to know what you are dealing with it will help which wormer is needed...but from your discription I suspect he dont feel well...
offer him electrolytes to be suerhe stays hydrated and green leaves from your trees will encourage him to eat...B complex is a good support Vit. and although is given by shot...a large dose Orally could do some good..5-10 cc is an injected so give him 10 cc orally see if it helps boost him ..

·
Registered
30,576 Posts
Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses(or what you have on hand or honey)
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
got a temp on him 99.5 his eyes looks like he has mucus running from them in the corners will try to get a pic

·
Registered
30,576 Posts
temp is low...you need to warm him up...get him in the sun..with your supervising ;) and get his temp up too 101.5...then give him shade...Begin Antibiotics, tylan 200 is a good OTC choice..needs to be injected just under the skin..sorry it has to be done, with Silent Puenominia fever can go sky high then drop sub..he is critical...CD Antitoxin is needed as well as Thiamine or fortified B complex..is he drinking at all?

·
Super Moderator
58,864 Posts
Unfortunately, you have a sick goat that is going to need shots. Advice already given is what you should follow.

·
Registered
30,576 Posts
hows he doing?

·
Registered
30,576 Posts
lower temp usually means something wrong in the gut
Yes. you are correct TDG-farms, low temps are usually gut related, but with the other symptoms low temp can also be whats known as silent pneumonia ...both are being address with cd antitoxin and antitobiotics..just in case...

from tennesseemeatgoats
High fever peaks quickly and then body temperature rapidly drops below normal, misleading the producer into diagnosing the problem as ruminal.
full article
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/pneumonia06.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts