HELP! Sick baby goat

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by WENDY KESLER, Aug 13, 2020.

1. WENDY KESLER

WENDY KESLER Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Douglasville, GA
    I have a two, maybe 3 week old buckling that started having the runs late yesterday. Today it has been off and on. He was taking bottle up until this evening. Checked his temp and it's 105!! I have brought him inside as we are in GA and it is still warm out. Was in the 90's today. I gave him .25ml of generic Banamine and 1cc of Sulfamed. What else can I do? We bought him off of an old goat farmer who I'm not sure gave him colostrum nor could tell me his exact age. We have lots of other goats, but all of mine that were ever bottle fed were older. We also bought his friend who is about a week older and seems to be doing a lot better.

2. jschies

jschies Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2014
    I would also give B complex at least once a day for several days. You might take a fecal to the vet to check for coccidia. How is he this morning?

Caroline Jackson likes this.

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    He is prime age for coccidia. Continue Sulfamed for 5 days then every 21 days for 5 days until hes weened.
    Any raspy breathing or coughing?

What are you feeding him? Also make sure he's not being over fed which can cause scours. Tumny should not be poochy after eating.

goatblessings likes this.
  4. WENDY KESLER

WENDY KESLER Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Douglasville, GA
    I ran fecal and he definitely has coccidia and worms. Not sure what to give him for the worms. I normally use Cydectin and Valbazen. His temp was normal this morning. I gave B gel and also some booster meds and was able to get 4oz of Bounce back in him. He resting right now, but bleeting some.

5. WENDY KESLER

WENDY KESLER Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Douglasville, GA
    No raspy breathing or cough. Feeding him what farmer had him on: whole milk, evaporated milk, and buttermilk mix. He's been on it for several weeks now and I try to follow feed schedule to not over feed. He never has pooch.

happybleats likes this.
  6. WENDY KESLER

WENDY KESLER Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Douglasville, GA
    I ran a fecal and he definitely has coccidia and worms. I normally treat worms with Valbazen and Cydectin, but never had to treat one so small. Are these safe for him?
    Temp was normal this morning, but will continue to monitor it. I am keeping him inside for now. Have given Vitamin B paste and Bounce back.

7. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Those are fine to give. But neither addresses coccidia.

8. WENDY KESLER

WENDY KESLER Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Douglasville, GA
    I started him last night on Sulfamed.

happybleats likes this.
  9. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I would use valbazen on him. 1 ccper 10 pounds booster in 10 days

10. Nigerian dwarf goat