Help Sick Goat

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by andiplus5, Apr 3, 2008.

1. andiplus5

andiplus5 New Member

Mar 8, 2008
    central Iowa
    I have a very sick goat. Pita, my fb togg, is not eating, not standing (except to feed kids then back down again), and when she does stand she is wobbly on her feet. She acts a like she's had too much to drink! I don't think she has a fever although I have no way to tell. She actually feels cooler than all the other goats. (I had to do something so I felt all the goats to see how warm they were as opposed to Pita. They all felt about the same, she felt cooler.) What do I do? I have been searching through my vet manual and all the goat info sites I know. I do not know what is wrong. I've never had a sick goat before. Does anyone have any suggestions. I'm getting desperate.
    Thanks in advance,
    Andi

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Re: HELP! Sick Goat!

I would try a calcium drench on her. When did she kid? I would also give some b-complex.

Also it would be good if you can get a temp on her.

3. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa

I would give her Calcium, tums if you have them or human clacium pills. Or of course something specifcally made for goats if you have it. Here is a link of what to do if she has ketosis, can you smell her breath? If it smells fruity it could be ketosis. http://fiascofarm.com/goats/ketosis.htm You can get her through this. You could also give her a mixture of Karo syrup, and coffee as well as some whiskey if you have it.

4. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa

You may want to post this in the Caprine Special Care section to get more advice. If I had "the power" I would move it for you :lol:

5. trob1

trob1 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Middle TN

Get a temp on this goat and get calcium in her ASAP or you will lose her. Call your vet and see if you can get the injectable kind and if not get the drench or gel calcium. Then you need to put her on alfalfa hay or pellets at a rate of 3 or 4 lbs per day till she is done nursing and milking.

Also I moved this topic so it will get more attention

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    When did she kid? Was it a hard kidding? Like Teresa said, you need to get calcium into her ASAP. Does her breath smell like nail polish remover? Give her nutri drench too, and give her molasses water also.

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

i agree with everyobe else on this one. She needs some calcium and vit B and fast. If you have tums give her four or five pills crushed up in some molasses. a piece of whole wheat bred or two would be good for her as well.
    beth

8. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i agree with the rest. see if you can get calcium glucanate & give it to her in 10cc shots with total being atleast 50cc. if you can not get that you need to find some calcium some how ot like they said you could loss her. good luck & hoping you get her all taken care of

9. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    How's your doe? Hope she's better.