The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lamachia who is not up to par not sure what is wrong she was fine yesterday. Found her this morning out in the rain, all the others were in the barn. Took her in and she seems out of it walking all drunk like she not eating, did nibble hay but not swallowing it just got it sticking out her mouth, look like she puked in her feed bowl and clear liquid is dripping from mouth but she hasn't drink so it not water. I gave probionic not sure how to treat

·
Registered
31,518 Posts
Get a temp on her right away....sounds like could be pueunomia....if she has a temp she will need antibiotics and fluids...

·
Registered
31,518 Posts
normal temo range: 101.5-103.5
offer electrolytes ( recipe below)
fresh water also so she can choose
fresh green leaves
is she pooping berries?

Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses ( or what ever you have on hand or honey)
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it.

·
Registered
31,518 Posts
Sounds like it maybe Polio..she needs Thiamine (vit B1) ASAP.. Its RX...if you can not get any use FORTIFIED B complex...it has Thiamine in it...this needs to be done ASAP...also get that temp...

·
Registered
31,518 Posts
106 is high...she neds antibiotics..tylan 200 is a good OTC choice..but use what you have on hand...try the electro recipe I sent..they seem to love it..
do you have Thiamine or Fortified B complex??

·
Administrator
84,733 Posts

·
Registered
31,518 Posts
hows she doing?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
She still in bad shape but still has the will to fight sorry didn't get back sooner been spending most my time out with her. I've Loaded her with antibiotics, vitamin b, thiamin, probiotics and electrolites and they dint seem to be working. Well i think they are helping but she is still down. My husband thinks it might be tetnis but we vaccinate for that so not sure how it could be that.

·
Registered
31,518 Posts
What anitbiotics are you using? If she has listeriosis large doses of Pen is needed along with Thiamine....
Is she eating and drinking well? Is she chewing a cud? any temp today??

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
She is drinking if i put it up by her but half of it runs back out her mouth she is peeing and poohing but not getting up

·
Registered
31,518 Posts
How much Pen are you giving? symtoms of listereiosis are as followed

Symptoms include some or all of the following: depression, decreased appetite, fever, leaning or stumbling or moving in one direction only, head pulled to flank with rigid neck (similar to symptoms of tetanus), facial paralysis on one side, blindness, slack jaw, and drooling. Diarrhea is present only in the strain of Listeriosis which causes abortions and pregnancy toxemia. Listeriosis can be mistaken for rabies. Immediate treatment is critical. There is no time to waste with Listeriosis. Recovery is more difficult and time-consuming than Goat Polio. A goat can go blind and completely recover its eyesight and overall health if proper treatment is provided; such treatment can take days or even weeks, depending upon the severity of the illness and how quickly treatment was begun.
This link gives a chart to show how much Pen. is needed..Large doses are needed
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/listeriosis.html

She is growing weak and even if Listeriosis is not her issue..I would not hesitate to treat for it just in case...Keeping her hydrated is very important while she fights this ..even if you have to dench the fluids in her....You can also make a very watery mush from alfalfa pellets, mix a bit of yogart with it and drench with a turkey baster to get food in her..
I would :
Treat with large doses of Pen. as discribed in aricle
Support therapy with Thiamine or fortified B complex
C D Antitoxin
Probios
electrolytes
and alfalfa mush

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
I agree with Happybleats, 100%. That Thiamina has to be gives and the Penn round the clock ad on time.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
If she is dehydrated you need to get a hold of some lactated ringers. You could drench her all day with water and never get enough in her. Keeping her hydrated will help her recover.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you guys for your help and support but Im sorry to say she passed away around 2 this morning. I just dont get it one min she was looking better i thought she was improving then next thing i know flopping around on ground it just sucks

1 - 20 of 26 Posts