Help! sick goat!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Steff, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Steff

Steff New Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Tonight when I went to check on the goats, my Alpine goat was sick. She has diarrhea and sunken in sides. She won't eat her feed. Usually she comes running up to me as soon as I go into the fence, but tonight she just layed there until I came up to her. She did get up on her feet, but you can tell she is not herself. She was perfectly fine yesterday. I plan to call the vet first thing in the morning, but is there anything I can do meanwhile?

2. 15WildTurkey

15WildTurkey Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Is she drinking? I would offer her electrolytes straight away to ward off dehydration. Better advice to follow I’m sure

3. Steff

Steff New Member

Jul 11, 2018
    I am new to goats. I am not sure if she is drinking. She always has water available. Would this be the same electrolytes they give to children? How do you get her to drink it?

4. 15WildTurkey

Apr 13, 2015
    Yes pedialyte would probably work or even Gatorade mixed maybe 50:50. Mine and I think most goats just like it cos it’s sweet but if she isn’t drinking at all you may need to drench her. Do you have a drenching syringe thingy? You could probably use a turkey baster to get it into her. I watched a YouTube before drenching mine.

5. 15WildTurkey

Apr 13, 2015
    Have you seen her poop? Normal or wet? How is her FAMACHA score?

6. Steff

Steff New Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Her whole back end is wet from the diarrhea and there is an oder.

7. Steff

Steff New Member

Jul 11, 2018
    I did not check on her today until it was getting dark. She was dewormed by the vet two months ago, before I brought her on our property. When I got her, the vet said she was healthy, but her coat could improve. At that time it was dull and dry. Now it is softer and shiny. Yesterday she acted perfectly fine, so I was surprised to see her in this condition tonight!

8. 15WildTurkey

Apr 13, 2015
    Could she have eaten something that upset her tummy? I would get a fecal done to include cocci first.

9. Steff

Steff New Member

Jul 11, 2018
    That is very possible. She is a forager on our property. It has been raining heavily the last few days, so I know she did not wander far from her shelter.

10. 15WildTurkey

Apr 13, 2015
    Poisoning I think usually results in vomiting though. You could dose her with some UAA gel. I don’t think it would hurt.
    When it’s super wet and hot I think about pneumonia. Humidity is not a friend of goats but I don’t know that diarrhea is a symptom of that. Have you taken her temp? I know if she’s wormy, which wet weather can bring about them she may be more vulnerable to pneumonia. I hope someone with a bit more experience comes along.

11. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Get activated charcoal into her.

12. Kath G.

Kath G. Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2017
    Wisconsin
    Nigerian dwarf goat likes this.
  13. Steff

Steff New Member

Jul 11, 2018
    So last night we got some Pedialyte from the grocery store and found an old turkey infusion syringe. We went down to her shed with a flashlight. Ginger would not drink the Pedialyte willingly, so I had to squeaze it into her mouth with the syringe. I was able to get 3 syringes full into her, but she was highly stressed, so I decided to call it quits for the night. By this time, it was about 11:30 PM.

This morning, when I went to check on her, she looked much better than she had. She was walking around, but wanted nothing to do with me after last night's ordeal. She readily ate her goat feed and nibbled on her hay. Her poop was no longer liquid, but like soft dog logs. An improvement, but still a long ways to go before normalcy.

I went to the tractor supply store and bought some electro paste for livestock. I put it on cookies like frosting and she loves it! She is acting like her old self again. She has been foraging all day. She even let me check her eye membrane for anemia. She is anemic,(between 3 and 4) so I will dewormer her. I bought Dumor goat dewormer in pellet form. Is that a good dewormer? Should I deworm her now, or wait until her poop is normal again? I have not seen her poop since she has had the electro paste, but will check her later today.

Sorry for all the questions. I left my vet a message, but she has not gotten back with me. She may be out of town.

14. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I wouldn't dose with any wormed until you run a fecal with your vet, the wormed you purchased is highly ineffective against most worms. Moving her to a new farm causes stress=cocci and worm bloom. I would start with this.

Kath G. likes this.
  15. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Get a fecal done to include coccidia. The pelleted wormer really doesn't work. Find out what parasites she has and we can tell you what you need and dosage.

16. Steff

Steff New Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Thank-you for your help and advice. I will get a fecal sample to my vet first thing Monday morning.

17. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Hopefully, you can return the unopened pellet wormer. I wish they were not permitted to sell it, it rarely works.

18. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  19. Steff

Steff New Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Thank-you for asking. Ginger is doing much better. Her sides are no longer sunken in and her poop has returned to pellets. They are dark green, not brown yet, but a huge improvement.
    She also is craving my attention again and whimpers when I scratch her behind the ear. This is a good whimper, when she really enjoys something. I have yet to hear back from my vet, so I will take a fecal sample to another area vet to be tested in the morning.

Thank-you everyone for all your help and support. It is nice to have such a wonderful resource of people when you have questions and need help.

Darby77 likes this.
  20. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California