Help Stillborn

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by 7acreranch, Mar 26, 2010.

1. 7acreranch

7acreranch New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Eastern OK
    Took a nap for a few hours, went out to find that our boer doe kidded one was alive but cold the other was still born. She didnt make much noise I was within ear shot with window open. This was about 45 min ago. I dont know if she has another in there is there a way to tell. Right know shows is making noise in spurts like I would expect if she was i labor. This is our first kidding season other doe went when we were out.She had the peice of the cord hanging but now that feel off(kids just yelled in) could thier be another one . OMG I am going nuts and pissed feel like its my fualt.

2. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    You can bump her to see if you feel another kid. Fold your hands under her belly and bump upward to see if you feel another kid. Hopefully someone else will jump in with good advice. Don't beat yourself up though! try to warm up the other kid- dry him/her off, put him/her in a plastic bag (head out) submerged in warm water or wrapped in a blanket on a heating pad. These are the things we did when in you situation a few months ago.

3. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    She might be done and just passed part of the placenta...but "bumping" her belly as was described above would be a good thing to do--feel for something hard...if she is done her belly should be relatively squishy. If she is still yelling, there may be another baby on the way...or she may just be talking to her baby that was already born.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how is she now? was the kid still in the sack that was dead?

they will contract till the placenta is out and if its hanging thats why she is contracting still.

Did you get the cold kid warm?

5. 7acreranch

7acreranch New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Eastern OK
    No sack around the dead one. But it didnt seem that mom tried to clean him off or did or Great Pry. We warmed him up clean him and got him to take some clorustum that we milked from his momma.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    then the stillborn was just that stillborn nothing you could have done about it.

is the other little one trying to stand and all? YOu want his temp to be near 100 before you give any milk

7. DPW

DPW New Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Crow, Oregon.
    She should have expelled her placenta within three hours after kidding. At least that how it goes with Boers. Another way to tell if a doe is done kidding besides bumping is to offer her a bowl of warm water with a little Karo syrup mixed in. If she drinks a lot she's done. If shes not interested the show is not over. Of course there are exceptions to every rule but the warm water test has been pretty reliable for us.

8. 7acreranch

7acreranch New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Eastern OK
    He up and moving that leg thing seeems a little odd but he seems to be walking ok. I am pretty sure she is done espacilly after feeling around inside.
    This momma doesnt seem interseted either, I just read something about the smell of fabric softeners on the towels used to clean the newborns cuasing the dams to refuse thier young. How much colorustrum should they get

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Glad he is moving around...if the legs are backwards or a little funny....give a Bo-se shot.. and nutra drench..I believe Bo-se dose is a 1/4 cc ..1 time....but you have to get it from your vet ...so they can advise you....

Glad you went in to check.. if there are anymore kids... :hi5:

Put mom in a smaller pen... with her baby....they need to bond ..3 days is a good number of days...unless... she hasn't bonded yet...she will lick him and let him suckle ...keeping a very close eye on the baby.....is a sign of bonding... she has to be taught to be a momma.... you may have to tie her up...but loose enough ....that she can reach her baby...put the kid in front of her..maybe even hold it up to her...if you still have the placenta... rub it all over the baby....it has her smell on it....it may be messy but it helps her ...to accept it.. if what you are saying.... she isn't accepting the kid..because of the soap used on the towel.....rub the placenta.. on the head ...back ....tail...area...I know yuck~!
    make sure mom... can smell the baby...put the kid in front of her...we need her to lick the baby....when she licks... that is a great sign....

...If moms udder is tight...she is uncomfortable... she isn't going to let the kid suckle.......

Try to introduce the baby to the teat...
    mom ...may not want to stay still... so ...her head must be tied up snug... and someone else... should hold her back leg...so she can't kick the kid... keep trying to get the kid to suckle....and when this is achieved.. you are heading in the right direction.... You may have to come out every couple of hours and tie her again.... repeat ....until the mom calms down....and you may be able to ...not have to tie her as tightly .. or even hold her leg....as time goes by... Make sure you switch sides....and teach the kid that there are 2 sides... it is a great sign.. if you don't have to tie her anymore...... Also... if you go out there ..and the baby isn't hungry at all....don't freak out ...check the tummy ..the baby may be full and may be nursing on it's own...when ya aint lookin... :wink: :hug: