Help Treating Stress

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by DebMc, Jul 8, 2010.

1. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I have two very stressed out doelings. They've been bleating their heads off for the past 4 hours in 106 degree heat. Their adult companions went to a new home this morning and they have been bawling ever since. I've been going out there every 30 minutes or so to try to console and hydrate them. I gave them some Priobiotics Plus paste, 5cc each, followed by oral electrolytes w/dextrose. Anything else I can do or give them to mitigate the impact of all the stress they're experiencing? I have to run out now and plan to resume the electrolytes when I get back in a few hours. I'm so worried they're going to make themselves sick.

Deb Mc

Deb Mc

2. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    Make sure they have plenty of shade and try not to stress too much yourself. They will pick up on your distress and that makes it worse. A pair of earplugs might help.

3. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I can't hear their bleating in the house. My concern is not the noise, but that they'll overheat and get sick from the stress. Mitsy was stargazing when I got home, probably heat exhaustion. She's also got a dry hack now from all the screaming. I gave them another quart of electrolytes and some B-12 tablets, which is serving to fuel another round of bleating their hearts out. At least it's cooling down, 103 now and cooler through the night.

Deb Mc

4. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    They have each other so they should be fine.... some extra treats always help but I wouldn't worry too much. They're pretty resilient to herdmate changes. :) Mainly they probably sense YOUR stress since I'm sure you're upset about losing your girls. Try to just leave them to their own devices for awhile and let them adjust to not having their other buddies.

I've been weaning over here the last few days and its over 100.... they cry for awhile but I just ignore them. By the time the feed buckets come out for evening feeding they forget all about their worries! LOL

I think they know how to yank your chain.... smart little buggers aren't they????? :)

5. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Having each other hasn't stopped them from grieving their loss. They're upset! They were party to a herd yesterday; today they are the herd. They miss their adult mentors and playmates, and understandably so. Yes, that does tug at my heartstrings and, yes, the lil' toots do know how to yank my chain. :laugh:

I've already seen the twins through two bouts of a recurrent bacterial pneumonia and, if at all possible, wish to avoid a third. Prolonged stress does have a way of running down the immune system. Especially in this heat. Even my choredog's feeling it...the Sonoran Desert has no mercy.

Deb Mc

6. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Deb,

Do you have an herb store in the area? GNC should carry it too. Get Rescue Remedy. It works on everything. Give them a drop or two or rub it on their gum's. Put a couple of drops in a cup of tea for you. :laugh: I put Ben out of the house a week ago. I feel your pain and headache. RR has helped us get through it. :laugh:

Gina

7. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Thanks for the suggestion, Gina. But we don't do herbs here. :) I have an undoGly combination of rare metabolic disorders that make most plant-derived substances toxic to me. In short, herbs are to me what rat poison is to you because I am missing the liver enzymes needed to break them down, was born that way. Dermal exposure is equally a concern. So RR is definately out of the equation.

Does your Ben have a goat buddy?

I make a point to wait until they stop screaming to go out and console...don't want to reinforce the screaming. But it doesn't work as they resume the screaming as soon as they hear me coming. :shrug: Mitsy's temp was 104.7 this morning. I'm hoping it's just heat exhaustion and not the pneumonia returning.

Deb Mc

8. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Can you give them vitamin C? I crush up a couple and top dress my goaties feed with it whenever mine are stressed. :) It can't hurt them.

9. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Deb,

Wow. I never heard of that before. Does it run in your family?

Yep. Ben is in a herd of 9 other goats and 2 sheep. His lady friend, Fancy, watches over him. :laugh: She even comes out and eats with him now. When he lets her. :laugh: He will butt her out of the food bowl then sticks his leg in it and pulls it toward him. I've never seen a goat do this before. He's such a dork. :greengrin:

Gina

10. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    You could go out and sit in the shade and sing to them. Heard they like singing as shepards do it all the time...that or recite poetry.

11. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Thanks, Jess. I'll give the C a try. I have some ascorbic acid powder I can add to their pm electrolyte drinks. Not sure what a goat's bowel tolerance level is for C so will play it safe.

I think I may have found something to take their minds off their loss and keep them occupied for a bit: a HUGE inflatable beach ball! My son's blowing it up as I type. Mitsy loves to play-butt balls.

Gina, Ben sounds as pampered as my twins. Don't suppose you know anything about that, though, right??? :wink: My metabolic woes are genetic. Three of the disorders - all inborn errors of carb metabolism - have recessive inheritance meaning both of my parents are asymptomatic carriers. Apparently, my hubby's a carrier of at least one of those mutations as our sons both inherited one of my IEOMs. Yeah, it sucks, but it could have been worse. My younger brother wasn't as lucky; he died. At least I'm alive. And I have goaties!

Deb Mc

12. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I found a solution! :) New companionship. I moved a pair of Greater Magellan geese into the goat yard to graze and they took right up with the two lonely kid goaties and, in turn, the goaties have stopped their grieving. :) Not a peep out of them since. So I've decided to move the Magellans out there permanently. They'll have their own night enclosure and stock tank, still within view of the goats, and then they will all share the same day area.

Deb Mc

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  14. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    There you go.... now are they plucking feathers yet? LOL I'm glad they are a bit happier now! :)