Help-Twins born and one not looking too good

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by hprice3920, Aug 22, 2008.

1. hprice3920

hprice3920 New Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Yesterday right before I was leaving for work my doe gave birth to twins. One boy and one girl. She was cleaning up the girl when I first saw her and the girl is bigger than the boy so I dont know if she was born first? The little boy was not making any sounds and I tried to get him to move closer to Mom so he could get attention too. Mom started to clean him off and the girl was now standing, but the boy was having problems standing because of all the after birth stuff on him. This morning I found him on the ground and I thought he was dead. :( I picked him up and he was warm so I brought him inside and I have been giving him a little goat drench and warm cows milk. He is now able to stand, but has trouble walking. I think he is just weak and may have been separated from Mom over night. I don't know if I should try him back with Mom or will she reject him now that he has been away?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you probably have a rejected kid by mom. Is mom a ff?

Do you have any baby bottles? I would start him on the bottle.

3. hprice3920

hprice3920 New Member

Nov 21, 2007
    He does not seem to know how to suck and the one time he tried if tounge was out of his mouth. I have been squirting some milk with goat drench in him a little at a time and he now stands, but trips over his front feet and falls. Poor little guy. The dog LOVES him and as licked him all over and that seems to help with him wanting to stand and move. Now I'm just worried that Mom wont take him back and I have to be away for most of tomorrow at work.I sure hope Mom takes him back because I'm worried about tomorrow when I'm away and I have no one to bottle feed him. I might see if I can con one of the girls at the Vet into taking him Saturday if Mom does not accept him back today. The little girl is not having any problems following Mom. I'm just worried about the weather and if it storms and he gets lost out in the rain. :(

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    try it -- or start making some calls about a "goat sitter" for him

5. Ivy

Ivy New Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Midwest
    With the dog licking him and the milk thats not moms, I would say odds are against the mother taking him back. He wont smell like her kid anymore.
    The kid needs colostrum. Go get some from the mother.

Next time, if this happens again my advice would be to clean the kid up with dry towels.
    And leave it with the mom. Some are slower than others to get the hang of walking and suckling.
    Some kids take a few hours.
    Its not till a few hours have passed before I interfere and then my goal is to get the kid suckling on mom.
    With twins its not unusual for one to be bigger than the other. Its not unusual for one to be a little slower than the other either.

I hope you can find someone to feed him.
    But colostrum is needed the first 24 hours and its best from mom.
    The kid needs to nutrients and antibodies that are in it.
    Kids dont have a good immune system.

As for milk moms is best and cow is second. I would milk mom.

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yep, get that colostrum from mom into him asap. As far as the "not knowing how to nurse" try some selenium....seems that the sucking reflex is affected as well as the legs with a selenium deficiency. I hope the little guy makes it.

7. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Yes I would get his own mom's colostrum into him...he's only several hrs old?? Even get a handful of afterbirth or moms blood & smear it on him. As Stacey mentioned if she's an FF she might not know what she is doing and a kid coming back smelling like dog & cow milk is going to confuse her even more. Best wishes let us know how it's going!
    The selenium or BoSe at this point is secondary to colostrum! You can do that tomorrow. Congrats on those babies too!!

8. deenak

deenak New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Ames Iowa
    How is the little guy doing???

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Have you given the little guy any BoSe? This may help alot even though he is past the "newbie" time. It definately would not hurt.

Hope he is doing well.