Help vaccinating new goats that have never had any and when to do so?

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Lolo, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Lolo

Lolo New Member

Apr 4, 2020
    Arkansas
    3 ND goats. 1 mamma (2 y.o.) with her buckling (3 mo) and a doeling (3 mo) from a different mom. None have had any vaccinations. I heard you give does cd/t 30 days before kidding but that won’t be until fall. Do I vaccinate and give booster now and then give another shot 30 days before kidding? Or do I wait and hope they don’t get sick and have a different schedule around kidding because the booster shot would be put right at kidding? Also, I want to make the buckling a wether. Do I give cd/t shot now, band him in a couple days and then booster him in 4 weeks? They never had cocci prevention, is it too late for that? Any other vaccines I need to worry about? Thank you in advance!

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  2. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    If you need him to be a wether right now because he is actively breeding the two does then you should use Tetanus anti-toxin for him only for banding. Then you can CD/T vaccinate and booster him a few weeks after banding.

For the does, give the CD/T vaccine and 3 weeks booster now, then annual booster near kidding time forever more.

If they are new to you, I would have fecal analysis done on each of them a few weeks after arrival in case moving stress triggers worms or coccidia. I wouldn't do coccidia for them at that age unless fecal tells you.

Lolo likes this.

3. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Pneumonia vaccine is also highly recommended.

Lolo and goatblessings like this.
  4. Angel A

Angel A Active Member

Apr 4, 2020
    North Idaho
    Well and it’s not a vaccine but we give BoSe (selenium & vitamin e) shots to the kids and calves after birth if we feel they need it. We are selenium deficient in Idaho. We had a cow calf born on Monday afternoon that laid under a tree nearly 2 hrs and we gave her a BoSe shot and a dropper of B12 and she got up right away and trotted off with her momma. Also, if they are new to you we really like the nutri-drench. It’s packed with vitamins and is good for newborns, times of stress or when they are ill or run down.

5. Lolo

Lolo New Member

Apr 4, 2020
    Arkansas
    Thank you for all the help!

6. Lolo

Lolo New Member

Apr 4, 2020
    Arkansas
    I was able to locate some tetanus antitoxin from a vet. The buckling is 3 mo old. Do I give him half the vile? It’s 1500 units or 5 ML

7. knoxboers

knoxboers Member

Aug 22, 2017
    I recommend Cavalry 9 which is the newer variant of Covexin 8 using a different inactive ingredient which is less likely to cause abscess as well as covering pneumonia. I agree with Saltey regarding admin tearing vaccine now with booster in 3 weeks then in the future vaccinating 3 weeks prior to kidding with a single dose. Cavalry dosage is 1 cc SQ.

Lolo likes this.
  8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  9. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    2mL subcutaneous

toth boer goats likes this.
  10. Lolo

Lolo New Member

Apr 4, 2020
    Arkansas
    Th
    Thanks a bunch, it’s so hard for me to find that info and I am already nervous he’s going to go into anaphylactic shock. When all you can find is horror stories!