The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 ND goats. 1 mamma (2 y.o.) with her buckling (3 mo) and a doeling (3 mo) from a different mom. None have had any vaccinations. I heard you give does cd/t 30 days before kidding but that won’t be until fall. Do I vaccinate and give booster now and then give another shot 30 days before kidding? Or do I wait and hope they don’t get sick and have a different schedule around kidding because the booster shot would be put right at kidding? Also, I want to make the buckling a wether. Do I give cd/t shot now, band him in a couple days and then booster him in 4 weeks? They never had cocci prevention, is it too late for that? Any other vaccines I need to worry about? Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
If you need him to be a wether right now because he is actively breeding the two does then you should use Tetanus anti-toxin for him only for banding. Then you can CD/T vaccinate and booster him a few weeks after banding.

For the does, give the CD/T vaccine and 3 weeks booster now, then annual booster near kidding time forever more.

If they are new to you, I would have fecal analysis done on each of them a few weeks after arrival in case moving stress triggers worms or coccidia. I wouldn't do coccidia for them at that age unless fecal tells you.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well and it’s not a vaccine but we give BoSe (selenium & vitamin e) shots to the kids and calves after birth if we feel they need it. We are selenium deficient in Idaho. We had a cow calf born on Monday afternoon that laid under a tree nearly 2 hrs and we gave her a BoSe shot and a dropper of B12 and she got up right away and trotted off with her momma. Also, if they are new to you we really like the nutri-drench. It’s packed with vitamins and is good for newborns, times of stress or when they are ill or run down.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you need him to be a wether right now because he is actively breeding the two does then you should use Tetanus anti-toxin for him only for banding. Then you can CD/T vaccinate and booster him a few weeks after banding.

For the does, give the CD/T vaccine and 3 weeks booster now, then annual booster near kidding time forever more.

If they are new to you, I would have fecal analysis done on each of them a few weeks after arrival in case moving stress triggers worms or coccidia. I wouldn't do coccidia for them at that age unless fecal tells you.
I was able to locate some tetanus antitoxin from a vet. The buckling is 3 mo old. Do I give him half the vile? It's 1500 units or 5 ML

·
Registered
28 Posts
I recommend Cavalry 9 which is the newer variant of Covexin 8 using a different inactive ingredient which is less likely to cause abscess as well as covering pneumonia. I agree with Saltey regarding admin tearing vaccine now with booster in 3 weeks then in the future vaccinating 3 weeks prior to kidding with a single dose. Cavalry dosage is 1 cc SQ.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.