The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a a baby 3 months old. Gums white barely eating. It's late and can't get no meds. What can I do??

·
Registered
31,518 Posts
can you get a temp? what meds do you have on hand?? molasses has iron..give a bit to him/her..a teaspoon or so...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What happened???? This all happened within hours!!!!!! Now IM worried about Stewy !!!! He's all alone again and running around crying looming for his baby brother!!!! How can I get another baby I'll feel like IM replacing baby!!!! My heart is heavy

·
558 Posts
I would test and treat Stewy for worms. Are his gums pale?
As hard as it would be, I would definately find him a friend.

·
Registered
31,518 Posts
im so sorry...I agree with goatiegirl.....have a fecal done on Stewy and include a cocci check...check for fever too...I know its heartbreaking to loose one...Stewy will help you heal and getting a budy is not replacing his brother...you are providing him with a much needed buddy...Hugs

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. It would be a good idea to take a fecal sample from Stewy in to the vet and have it tested for worms and coccidiousus to be on the safe side. Make sure you ask the vet to look for cocci, because sometimes they just look for worm and overlook the other. Is Stewy vaccinated? If not, I would pick up some CD/T from your local feed store and give him 2cc now Sub Q, and a booster in 2-3 weeks.

I know that losing a little one is heart wrenching, I think everyone here has probably cried their eyes out while the precious little life in their arms has slipped away. Each goat is so unique, and wonderful that they never really are replaced. I hold a special place in my heart for each and every one, but it hasn't stopped me from falling head over heels for the next one. They have a way a squirming into your heart whether you want them to or not. Don't look at getting Stewy a companion as replacing your lost baby. Instead it's an opportunity to open your loving home to another precious life. Until you are ready, just give Stewy lots of love, and attention, he'll miss his brother and need some reassuring.

·
Super Moderator
59,804 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss. I would definitely get a fecal done to include coccidia. If you don't do that, then treat him for coccidia. If you can find him a friend that would be good. Where are you located?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for all the kind words and advice. I will answer all questions when I get home. Need to know what wormer to get Stewy

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok Sonny got fenbendazole for Stewy. Should I give him this or wait for fecal exam,,,,

·
Registered
31,518 Posts
I would wait for a fecal if he seems fine for now..better to know what to treat for..not all wormers get all worms so you want to be sure to get him the right stuff...Safe Guard no longer works in many areas....I prefer Valbazen for kids under 6 months and Ivomec plus for older kids through adult....they have a broader kill base..

·
Super Moderator
59,804 Posts
Safeguard will probably still work for you. But definitely wait for a fecal result so you know what you need to treat for. If he has coccidia, Safeguard will do nothing for him.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If I would have have baby the meds for worms the day before yesterday would he still be alive??

·
Registered
191 Posts
There is no way to know if there is something you could have done a few days ago that would have changed the outcome. One of my hardest losses was a little bottle baby buck. He had been rejected by his mom at birth, and I hadn't found him for several hours (I had found his sister that morning). He was half dead when I found him, and by some miracle, I was able to save him that day. A couple months later, he refused to eat, I finished feeding, and grabbed him to take him up to the house. In the half an hour it took me to feed, he had gone downhill fast. He convulsed, and died in my arms before we reached the front door. I have no doubt he died from over eating disease, and as I sat there holding his little body and watching his sister push at him, all I could think was that I had meant to vaccinate him two days prior. I was sick about it, but the truth is, there is no way of really knowing if that could have changed the outcome. More than likely, it would not have.

I told you that story because it's important for you to realize that there are a million "what ifs". They can tear you up with guilt, and ad more pain to what you are already going through. At some point you have to accept that fate, or a greater deity chose this path for reasons that cannot be understood or easily accepted. You provided your little man with a great life, and although it was much shorter than you would have wanted, it was a happy life for him. It's hard, but from his passing you may learn lessons that will save future goats, and in that manner, his little life will continue to touch other lives.

·
Registered
31,518 Posts
I agree with scrmg...Do not blame yourself..the "what ifs" "could Have" and "should have" will drive you insane ...it is very clear you love and care for your goats..there is no doubt you would have done anything to help him...all we can do is provide clean quarters, healthy balance food, hay and minerals..keep basic emergency items on hand..and know our goats...by knowing how they act, play, eat, react to things then we know at a glance when they are not well..and can jump into action...And I promise you this...the pain of loosing him will pass..and from this you will bring away something to help in the future...:hug:

·
Super Moderator
59,804 Posts
Unfortuntately with livestock, there are no guarantees of anything. Like everyone else has said, the "what ifs" will make you crazy. The important thing is that you do care and you want to do what is best for them. We are constantly learning with animals and even if you have owned livestock for many many years, you will still learn something new.

Take care of the little guy you have and give him lots of hugs!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts