The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
Did you just bring this girl in?

I hate to overload the system right away. What cocci treatment are you using and at what dosage?

I would also be giving her Fortified B Complex shots and Probios daily. I would also give her electrolytes.

Here is a homemade recipe for electrolytes from HappyBleats:

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Quality hay and minerals is also what I would have in front of her to eat. No grain until the scours are gone and then add it very slowly into the diet.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
She also looks like she has lice mites or mange. Those will also run a goat down as well. Have you done a fecal on her??? I bet she has worms as well. What I would do along with the worming and cocci treatment is SLOWLY give her very very good hay and grain. High protein I also like calf manna and I would suggest mixing that in as well. Is she still eating well??? Do your best not to let her get off feed. Red cell for anemia I don't remember the dose :( I would also when she looks to have a bit more life in her get some copper in her.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Did you just bring this girl in?

I hate to overload the system right away. What cocci treatment are you using and at what dosage?

I would also be giving her Fortified B Complex shots and Probios daily. I would also give her electrolytes.

Here is a homemade recipe for electrolytes from HappyBleats:

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Quality hay and minerals is also what I would have in front of her to eat. No grain until the scours are gone and then add it very slowly into the diet.
Yes she is right sorry I missed this no grain tell runs are done :(

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We just got back from a trip to Montana and brought back some Montana Alfalfa. She is drinking well. BTW she is a boer/kiko if that helps with anything. Her sister was just like his yesterday. And we gave Cookie (the sister) peptobismol, geritol, probios, and activated charcoal. She is down today. She cant stand and i dont think she'll live much longer. 2 hours at the most.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Last month he gave snow SQ Ivermection dewormer, 10gms Probios, & 22ml corid drench, & trimmed and DEd her feet.

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
She is in pretty bad shape and probably full of all kinds of worms. She is going to need a lot of supportive care along with deworming.

Did you only do Corid for one day? What dosage did you do the Ivomec?

·
Registered
30,552 Posts
SOunds like Another worming is needed...I would Go Sub Q since oral could kill the load too fast and cause other issues..Ivomec plus is 1 cc per 40#..if she is 50# I would give 1 1/2 CC
red cell 6 cc per 100# double day one then daily for a week then once a week until color has improved...
B complex Plus for both B 12 and other B's which will help with her appitite and energy
Lots green leaves to munch along with alfalfa and High protien feed whenher runs clearns up
keep her hydrtated with the recipe

·
Registered
30,552 Posts
Red cell is much better...Geritol has alchol in it .... red cell is 6 cc per 100#

·
Registered
30,552 Posts
I would treat with Dimethox for cocci...1 cc per 5# day one and 1 cc per 10# day 2-5...

·
Registered
30,552 Posts
for red cell. I do a double dose day one...so 12 cc per 100# then reg. Dose daily for a week...then once a week until I see good color..

1 - 20 of 33 Posts