Help w/Penicillin type brand ??? Please...

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Bellafire Farm, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    So my doe has had a reaction to bio-mycin and I've been desperately trying to get her over her cough/snotty nose but am losing the battle and getting seriously concerned.
    I've gone to every store in our little town and there is only

regular Penicillin: did not say Pen-Aquaus, just states Penicillin. The front of the bottle looks exactly like this picture below:

Or Durvet Dura-Pen (states only for beef cattle) - like this: http://www.ablackhorse.com/productcart/ ... oduct=3524

The Dura-Pen has the correct penicillin amounts for long-acting penicillin, but it scares me that it states specifically for beef cattle only????? Has anyone ever used this on their goaties???

Attached Files:

2. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Ugh! I can't read your lable, but I have a bottle of Pen-Aqueous andit says that it's penicillin g procaine. if yours says it's pen procaine, I'd think it's about the same. The dosage is 1 ml per 100 lbs, adminstered IM.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The Durvet is what I get at TSC...Same as the label you pictured. Penicillan G Procaine is what I can see on your label...as well as 300,000units/mL? I use this at a doseage of 1cc per 20lbs

4. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Wow, Liz -- my bottle says "3000 unit per lb of body weight, 1 ml per 100 pound bodyweight" although that just doesn't sound right to me.....I have pen aquaeous, durvet, 300,000 units/ml....

5. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    I've found confusing dosages and also confusion about whether to give one dose per day or two???

From Fiasco_
    From GoatLink_
    From GoatWorld_
    From Allexperts.com_
    From SheepandGoat.com_
    From Homesteading.com_

These are all specifically for the Procaine Pen G (300,000) type Penicillin. I do trust all these websites...but think there is a lot of differences in dosages mainly because there is just SO MUCH that is not yet determined about goats in particular...