Help Wanted!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by 42Jules, Jul 21, 2010.

1. 42Jules

42Jules New Member

Jul 21, 2010
    I have a new buck (born 17th) from a flightly new mum. She is anglo/boer cross, he is 3/4 boer. Mum doesnt really know what to do, being a first time mum.

He has trouble walking and feeding. I have been putting the little fella on the teat, and he goes for it for a minute or two. and seems to get a feed, although he stops after a while and winges a lot. I milk out mum after his feed (we have her in a milking frame) and give the buck a bottle during the day, which he really enjoys.

I am not sure if he is suffering from some genetic defect. He keeps trying to find the teat when mum is nearby, but is trying too far up mum's side. He seems unable to walk properly.

His legs are long and he splays out if he falls over. I have observed him actually going around in circles, we wonder if perhaps he can see.

I am reluctant to put him on the bottle full time, but we have them both in the cattle yard (it has grass at present) otherwise I am sure mum would have left him by now, although she does call out to him.

I would really appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    so he is 4 days old now and still not able to walk properly or nursing on his own?

Have you given him any BoSe? its an Rx so you will need to see if a vet will give you a dose of it.

Does he come running to you when you come out with the bottle? does he act like he knows what it is? if so he isnt blind.

Give mom time and if she isnt hurting him its good that they are together. He may just figure it out soon.

I would keep supplemeting him with the bottle because if he isnt getting anything from mom even though he is housed with her you dont want him to starve. But if he is getting at least a little bit thats better then nothing and it will sustain him till you bring out a bottle a couple times a day.

He will learn to be a goat better with mom too. I leave all my bottle babies out with the herd and it helps them adapt better and keeps them from having identity issues (thinking they should be in the house like me).

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I totally agree with Stacey... :thumb:

babies do better ...around momma and the herd.... :wink:

4. 42Jules

42Jules New Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Is this a selenium deficiency or floppy goat syndrome? If selenium, is there any other way of getting it into the kid rather than the BoSe? this is an aussie goat.

5. 42Jules

42Jules New Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Mystery solved. Baby goat has a swollen right knee, vet diagnosis septic arthritis, probably caused by bacteria entering via the cord. Has sore joints as a result, which with care and antibiotics should get better.

Many thanks for your help. I am glad I went, as there were several nasties which could have been the cause. The vet, a caring man, thought of CAE at once and did a test of the fluid on the knee.

All being well, my little sweetie will be better in a week or two.

Cheers from down under.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh... I am glad you took her to the vet and found out what was going on with her.....great call on your part... :thumbup: ....now let the healing begin..... :thumb: :wink: :hug:

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Joint ill is what it is called here in the USA....The main cause is from what you described, bacteria entering the newborn body through a still wet navel, to prevent this from happening again, most will dip the cords into an iodine solution. Hope your little one recovers quickly!