Help, we had Quads!!

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by dutch, Jan 4, 2008.

1. dutch

dutch New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Hillsdale, Mi
    We were shocked to see 4 babies, although 1 was still in the sac and dead. We didn't think she was that big, but now she looks emaciated.
    Last year she rejected one of her twins, and she doesn't seem overly attentive to these 3. How long should we wait before we assist them in nursing? They are all resting together right now, I'm sure she's tired.

2. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    just make sure that they get the colostrum and then just watch closely to see if she accepts them....not sure on how long to wait.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I woudl check all their temps to make sure they are not chilled. It could be warm to you but if they don't get nurishment their body temps fall really low and they can die fast.

I would watch her like a hawk for over an hour, if she doesn't let them nurse then I would work with the kids and her, if not i would pull them and bottle feed. With her history of rejecting kids I wouldn't risk loosing the 3 you have.

I would also baby her, she needs it. Get her warm mollasses water, give her some grain and plenty of hay. Make sure she eats and drinks (if she doesnt' like molasses give her plan water, I have one that won't eat mollasses water).

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    First of all, Congratulations on the babies. I am sorry that you lost one. I am not surprised that they can not get to them all to clean them up and get them out of the sac. I have been there a lot when my does have twins, and even then they have a hard time getting to the second one, because they seen to come so fast.
    I would spend several hours with them. Like Stacie said give mom Molasses water and all that she wants. I had a doe not sure what she was to do with twins that she had, but once I talked to her and spent some time with her, (I also had to shave the hair around her legs so the babies would get the teat and not the hair). I made sure that they nursed, it took almost a hour for them to nurse, and them I went behind a door and I watched to see that mom would take them. She did walk away form the several times, but she was never mean, so I put her in a smaller pen where she could not walk so far away for them. It took like three to four hours, and then she realized that they were hers and they were not going to go away. It has been almost a year now and her doe is still attached to her side. Mom is getting ready to kid and now I am wondering what is going to happen to Faith, the doe from last year.

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Congrats on the new arrivals - Pics please :) pretty please :)

I am sorry that you lost the one, but hopefully the others will be very happy and healthy!

6. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    They need ...12% in body weight I believe...of colostrum in the 1st 12 hours. It may take 2 of you, but if need be, hold mom and let each kid nurse.

7. Congrats on the babies and Good Luck with getting them all adjusted to the new world...