The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We brought home our two 15 wk old nigerians yesterday. Today the wether jumped the gate to follow us! This your typical livestock gate so 4-4 1/2 ft. What the heck do we do to keep him from doing that? For now, he and his sister are shut up in their barn stall. My worry now is he will jump the fence, too. It's similar in height. Help! What do we do?

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
To be honest I have found that once they get it in their mind to jump there is no stopping them. I have 3 that jump, I tryed a shock collar to let them know it hurts on the other side, no luck. 2 of the not so smart animals even got their back leg stuck in the fence, 1 I have no idea how long and couldnt hardly walk for 2 days and shes back jumping. With mine I am going to put some barb wire on the top of the fence and see if that stops them, and if not I have nothing else but to sell them. Try and figure out a way to maybe make it taller. If they are in a some what small area you could try to tie them off to something they could drag around, Im really not sure, I even tryed to tie a rope from their collar to their back leg and they some how got that off.

·
Registered
31,458 Posts
Its true..once they know they can...they will...
I have seen using 1/2" -1 " PVC pipe to extend it higher, weave it through chicken wire and lean it toward the inside of the pen. It will curve inward creating a partial top..you will need to attatch the bottom of that top half to the top of the bottom fenceto be more secure...but dependingon the area..that is not only a lot of work..but money too ...
if you have time tosit and wait..whenhe begins to jump..squirt him with a water gun or hose...dont soak him..just givehim a shock of sorts..

·
558 Posts
We had a dog that figured out how to jump the wooden door in her pen, we put a piece of fencing bent inward at the top kinda like a prison fence. It was supposed to be a temporary fix but it worked so well and didn't cost a thing so we stuck with it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have a plan. We will get 1" wide electric poly tape, string it in front of the gate attaching to rebar at each end at nigerian nose height. I'll be able to unplug it prior to opening the gate, then we'll just step over it. Goat will get curious, go up to sniff and get zapped hopefully just once.

To those of you with a lot of goat experience, how does this sound? Suggestions? Thoughts?

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Goats do not like to be zapped, give it a shot, better then sending him down the road. Last year I had issues with the goats going under the fence to get to the hay lot and I wire on the very bottom, after a day they gave it up, but dont get used to leaving it off or you back to where you started. Just remember he has to be touching the ground for it to get him. A lot of people will say to put it up top so when they are in mid jump it gets them, this is not true since they have to touch the ground.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A lot of people will say to put it up top so when they are in mid jump it gets them, this is not true since they have to touch the ground.
Exactly. So we'll string it about nose height. Use 1" tape so it's highly visible and intimidating. Hoping he won't jump over it. If he does, we'll raise the tape a bit maybe? Hopefully once he gets zapped he'll learn the gate is not something to get near.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After brainstorming even more we came up with a different plan. We zip tied large pieces of cardboard to the barn gate, now the little stinker can't get a foot hold to climb over. He slips right off the cardboard. The card board will work temporarily because its in the barn and won't get soaked during rain. May end up replacing it with plyboard or a hard plastic mat of sorts, which then would be more weather proof.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
We have a plan. We will get 1" wide electric poly tape, string it in front of the gate attaching to rebar at each end at nigerian nose height. I'll be able to unplug it prior to opening the gate, then we'll just step over it. Goat will get curious, go up to sniff and get zapped hopefully just once.

To those of you with a lot of goat experience, how does this sound? Suggestions? Thoughts?
I have one ND who is a horrible jumper of 4' or climbs the horse non climb fence. I put a strand of hot wire nose height. I used the insulators that stick out about 6" rather than the ones right up on the posts- that helped, as well as a good ground. She got popped a few times and now respects it. As for the gate part I have mine so it starts on one side of the gate around the pen has a fixed insulator at the post where the gate hinges. then I put another insulator on the opening side of the gate so it just moves with the gate as you open and close it. If that doesn't make sense I can get a pic on monday for you.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, good idea on the insulators that stick out 6"! Thanks for mentioning that. I can visualize what you did about the gate and we do have one outside livestock gate that we will need to work around so that work out perfect!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts