Help! wether won’t stop humping

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by riorider, Dec 22, 2020.

1. riorider

riorider New Member

Dec 22, 2020
    Montana
    Hi I’m very new to goats and this summer bought two baby Nigerian Dwarf boys who are brothers. Both were banded and are presumed wethers - one was banded by a vet at about two and a half months old and his brother was banded earlier on by the lady we got them from. One wether (named Tito) will not leave his brother alone- he is a monster! He has been constantly blubbering, spraying himself and trying to mount, tongue out and all. At this point it’s constant harassment for his poor brother Pickle and it scares my guests away!! So, I’m wondering first- what is causing his behavior? He also looks significantly different from his brother (larger horns, longer hair, bigger, etc). Is there a possibility he still has a ball somewhere?? Second, is there anything I could do to stop the tension? Would a third (wether for sure) goat give Pickle a break or is he just doomed to a life of harassment from his brother?

Dee4 and Moers kiko boars like this.
  2. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Can you see any balls out or does he look like a doe from behind? Your description sounds like he is intact, unless he was banded at a mature age. I am not hearing of any aggressive behavior - mounting, blubbering, chasing, that's okay and just normal signs of dominance.

3. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Is he the one banded by the owner? It could be that he only had one testicle descended, and the owner did not notice when she banded him. In which case he would have the other one somewhere in his abdomen that produces testosterone. A vet would have noticed for sure.

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Definitely have a vet check him for undescended testicles.

5. riorider

riorider New Member

Dec 22, 2020
    Montana
    He definitely doesn’t have any balls on the outside- we flipped him over to double check. At the time he was banded, he didn’t blubber at all! As for dominance, the other wether is a bit of a stinker and tries to edge his way into everything, but the behavior often happens when they’re both just kind of sitting there and hanging out.

Ely and Moers kiko boars like this.
  6. riorider

riorider New Member

Dec 22, 2020
    Montana
    He is the one banded by the vet!

7. riorider

riorider New Member

Dec 22, 2020
    Montana
    :shrug::shrug:Hey all, just thought I’d give you an update since you were so helpful. Vet came by and felt something in his thigh and said she could do a little operation to remove it...he just got done and there wasn’t anything there! Oh well

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  8. alwaystj9

alwaystj9 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2019
    Zachary, Louisiana
    Very strange. Does the vet have any idea what they were feeling/

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  10. riorider

riorider New Member

Dec 22, 2020
    Montana
    I think she was saying it may have been a piece of reproductive tissue that somehow escaped the band or something along those lines!

toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.