HELP!! What color is my doe???

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by KW Farms, Jul 10, 2008.

1. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Ok, so this little doeling is out of my grey agouti pygmy buck and my light caramel agouti doe. I have no idea how I got this color??? She is gorgeous, but just trying to figure out what color it is. It's kinda light Chamoisee w/ cream on her belly, legs, and eye brows. What do you think???

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    With her dams coloring..Pygle..looks to have ND in her lines somewhere so I would say that Wednesday's color would be the ND Chamoissee...BTW..You have some really nice looking goaties!!

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    that kid looks very ND I say mom snuck in with the wrong buck ;)

As to her colorig --- very hard to say as it looks almost like a cape for a buckskin but not totaly

I am bad with coloring but that doeling is definatly a mix

4. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    shes not a true chamoisee because the eyebrows and legs and belly should be black not cream.

if she were a nigerian i would say her color was a champagne chamoisee with heavy balck ticking.

but other than that i don't know

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    No, I am POSITIVE she bred my pygmy buck. Last winter I didn't have any other bucks but my pygmy. She also kidded a light agouti doe along w/ this one. I'm thinking maybe mom is hiding something in her background. So really this is why it's so hard to figure out where that color came from. I don't know... :shrug:

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    As I said in my previous post...looking at Pygle, she has Nigerian in her ....her coloring and pattern is too spotty to be 100% pygmy...maybe her dam or sire had a nigi relative that was the color of Wednesday.....if you look at my goaties..especially Angel....how did I get a solid white kid out of a gold/white pygmy/nigi dam and a solid black pygmy buck? Angels maternal Grand Sire was a gold/white nigi and her matenal grand dam was a grey agouti pygmy.....these things hide and end up surprising us when we don't expect them :greengrin:

7. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    She definitely doesn't look pure-bred pygmy. She could possibly be called a medium or dark caramel w/ brown points (pygmy colors). I've seen pygmies that color before.

8. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    That doe looks like Petite...
    [​IMG]
    She was marked on her papers as Chamoisee but she also expressed Buckskin characteristics. I would call it a Buckskin/Chamoisee or Buckskin marked Chamoisee.

9. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i had a buck that was creme with only boots and facial stripes. the breeder called it a abbreviated buckskin

10. rlittlecritters

rlittlecritters New Member

Apr 26, 2008
    Lynden, Washington
    Pygmies only come in agouti, caramels and solid black.

She looks like a caramel, but her stockings should be dark with lighter stripes in the front. She looks the opposite with lighter stockings with darker stripes on the front.

Off of NPGA website:
    "Caramel Pattern--All have light vertical stripes on front side of darker stockings. Muzzle, forehead, eyes and ears accented in tones lighter than the dark portion of the body."

"Agouti Pattern--All agoutis have solid stockings darker than main body color. Muzzle, forehead, eyes and ears accented in tones lighter than the dark portion of the body."

"Black Pattern--All blacks have solid black stockings"

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you forgot brown -- there is chocolate brown and agouti brown in pygmy goats as well

12. rlittlecritters

Apr 26, 2008
    Lynden, Washington
    agouti comes in greys/blacks or browns

solid brown isn't registerable...needs to have a few white hairs and then can be considered an agouti

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I guess I think of the dark carmels as brown.

14. rlittlecritters

Apr 26, 2008
    Lynden, Washington
    Yes, there are brown caramels also.

I just always think agouti, caramel and black...knowing that the agoutis and caramels come in many different shades. :)