The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so this little doeling is out of my grey agouti pygmy buck and my light caramel agouti doe. I have no idea how I got this color??? She is gorgeous, but just trying to figure out what color it is. It's kinda light Chamoisee w/ cream on her belly, legs, and eye brows. What do you think???

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
that kid looks very ND I say mom snuck in with the wrong buck ;)

As to her colorig --- very hard to say as it looks almost like a cape for a buckskin but not totaly

I am bad with coloring but that doeling is definatly a mix

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
shes not a true chamoisee because the eyebrows and legs and belly should be black not cream.

if she were a nigerian i would say her color was a champagne chamoisee with heavy balck ticking.

but other than that i don't know

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I am POSITIVE she bred my pygmy buck. Last winter I didn't have any other bucks but my pygmy. She also kidded a light agouti doe along w/ this one. I'm thinking maybe mom is hiding something in her background. So really this is why it's so hard to figure out where that color came from. I don't know... :shrug:

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
As I said in my previous post...looking at Pygle, she has Nigerian in her ....her coloring and pattern is too spotty to be 100% pygmy...maybe her dam or sire had a nigi relative that was the color of Wednesday.....if you look at my goaties..especially Angel....how did I get a solid white kid out of a gold/white pygmy/nigi dam and a solid black pygmy buck? Angels maternal Grand Sire was a gold/white nigi and her matenal grand dam was a grey agouti pygmy.....these things hide and end up surprising us when we don't expect them :greengrin:

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
That doe looks like Petite...

She was marked on her papers as Chamoisee but she also expressed Buckskin characteristics. I would call it a Buckskin/Chamoisee or Buckskin marked Chamoisee.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Pygmies only come in agouti, caramels and solid black.

She looks like a caramel, but her stockings should be dark with lighter stripes in the front. She looks the opposite with lighter stockings with darker stripes on the front.

Off of NPGA website:
"Caramel Pattern--All have light vertical stripes on front side of darker stockings. Muzzle, forehead, eyes and ears accented in tones lighter than the dark portion of the body."

"Agouti Pattern--All agoutis have solid stockings darker than main body color. Muzzle, forehead, eyes and ears accented in tones lighter than the dark portion of the body."

"Black Pattern--All blacks have solid black stockings"

·
Registered
75 Posts
agouti comes in greys/blacks or browns

solid brown isn't registerable...needs to have a few white hairs and then can be considered an agouti

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes, there are brown caramels also.

I just always think agouti, caramel and black...knowing that the agoutis and caramels come in many different shades. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts