HELP...What is Johnes, how do I deal with it?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by bheila, Aug 17, 2009.

1. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I just called the lab to get my does test results and one of the girls is positive for Johnes. I don't even really know what it is, I just test for it :GAAH: I asked what I should do now and she said she would have the Dr. call me to discuss the care of my heard.

What is it? How do you deal with it? Should I have her blood tested again? Any info or links you guys have would be soooo greatfully appreciated.

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

3. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Oh my gosh-- that is NOT good

Johnes is the wasting disease- and Im pretty sure its very contagious- let me look up a link for you quick

Im pretty sure there is no treatment available

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
  5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    NOT GOOD. The State vet will or should be contacted. NO ANIMALS CAN OR SHOULD LEAVE YOUR PLACE. It is VERY contagions and it is FATAL.

We have one case here in CO, and it happens to be a friends. They put every animals down that has tested Positive. Yes it is a wasting disease, The only animal that could leave her property were those that went to the butchers.

She has to test all her goats every 6 months I believe and if they are positive they are put down. If not then they start then to how long they are free and then will be able to go back to shows again.

I would do another test at another lab if possible. Also isolate that one that was positive.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes have all your goats tested again if you didnt use a lab like Davis or WADDL

Johnes is NOT GOOD

7. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Oh, gosh I am so sorry. That is not good at all. I would definitely test again and like RunAround said, have a fecal culture done. The testing for Johnes (from what I was told) can be difficult to get accurate.

8. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I spoke to the vet. I know what has to be done today. It SUCKS!!! But I'm glad I quarantined the goats. I'll let you guys know what the vet said later in more detail. I've got to go call the vets or my neighbor :(

9. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Oh gosh...I am so sorry. :hug:

10. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I used WADDL for the testing. The vet said that she may or may not be shedding right now, which means she may or may not be spreading the disease around. I asked how it's possible that only Ginger tested positive and not her twin Claire because obviously they were eating off of the same ground and lived together. She said that because Claire tested negative she just might not have a high enough level yet and to test her again in a year. I won't be waiting a year!! She said Johnes grows really slow so that's why she suggested a year. As far as sending a fecal in, I can do that, BUT it takes 2 months for the bacteria to grow. I think I should send the girls blood to another lab. I've only used WADDL so if someone could give me a link to another great one that would be super. At this point I'm ready to shoot her and have it over with. I'm not saying that to sound cold hearted I'm just terrified right now but I'd hate to put her down not really having a second opinion. What do you guys think? I'm frantically pacing :GAAH: I need a beer and I don't even drink :shocked:

11. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Shelia, did your vet do blood tests or fecal tests for Johnes? If he did blood tests, have your positive doe retested using a fecal test. There are false positives with the blood test when testing for Johnes and the only truly accurate way to test is through fecal testing. Fecal testing takes longer and is a bit pricier than blood testing but it is worth it if you want accurate results.

A quite well known breeder near me sold a doe to a guy in WI. The guy blood tested the doe after he got her and she came up positive for Johnes. The breeder freaked out and fecal tested her whole herd for Johnes. The test results on her whole herd came back negative. After the breeder told the results of her testing to the owner of the positive doe, he retested using a fecal test and the positive doe was a negative fecal. I have to leave in a minute here but later I'll look up in my vet book and I'm pretty sure it says that the pathogen for the virus are shed and detected in the feces, not the blood.

12. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Oops, just reread the post. I woudl still get a fecal test done.

13. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    A fecal is a good thing to do but a Blood test is more accurate right now. really the best is a Necropsy, and I know you do not want to do that.

The friends I mentioned before, they took a goat to the vet to be put down because she was so thin and always eating. She was wasting away and so they found out why.

Is this doe of yours thin or having trouble keeping weight on?

14. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    No, not thin at all. She's fatter then my other goats. The previous owner never wormed them they whole year she owned them either.

15. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    She could be in the very early stages of it.

I know the friends of mine, some took a few years before they really started to look the part. They have a lot that came positive and a lot that still have never shown positive. They have to go I believe two years with out a positive result before they can say they are free. of it. I might be longer then the two years, but for some reason two years sticks in my mind.

16. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I made the decision at the last second to do the fecal test. Ginger is not happy being by herself. :pray:

17. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

They can carry it for years and show no outward signs of it- it can also live in your soil for years to come

18. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I am so sorry you are having to deal with this :hug:

From what I understand of the disease, it is comparable to Crohn's disease in people, where the intestine is damaged to the point that it can't absorb nutrition from the food eaten.

False positives are unfortunately a common occurance, I would have a different test run with a different lab just to be sure, good luck :hug:

19. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I'm sorry too :tears: The previous owner feels terrible and asked if there was anything she could do. I'm going to have a different test performed and then if she's positive we'll put her down. I've read a lot today about how the fecal is more accurate then the blood test. I really need a second positive so that I can live with myself putting her down. She literally came within minutes of my husband doing it before I said, no let's do the other test first. It's been a rough day.

Thanks for all of the info and links guys :hug: I knew I could count on you in my time of crisis, I always can :grouphug: