The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This doe kidded a single doe last Thursday (her first kidding). Tonight we noticed her udder is larger on one side and a little firmer. The side it is larger on is the side the kid favors. We have to milk her out on the other side because the kid doesn't nurse from that side. The milk on the swollen side is a clearer and thinner in color. The milk on the smaller side is whiter and slightly thicker. The only other thing with this doe is she started to have some bleeding yesterday which I have heard is normal after kidding. The udder is equal temps on both sides not hot or not cold.

Attachments

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does this look like it is the start of mastitis?

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Could very well be. I am not an expert, but with that much milk for a little single doeling, you need to milk out the tight sides to prevent mastitis. And make sure there is no plug that is restricting the kid from nursing.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok we are going out to milk her some more now.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We milked her out more and it is starting to look a little better. Still a little bigger on the side the kid usually nurses from. She doesn't want us messing a lot with her udder but she has been like that since she developed one so this is not new.

·
Registered
31,508 Posts
keep milking that side out to match the size of the other..as the doe grows she should enjoy both sides for you...in the mean time..keep it even : )

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
keep milking that side out to match the size of the other..as the doe grows she should enjoy both sides for you...in the mean time..keep it even : )
Thank you and we will continue to do this. I have a crazy question. Is it normal for the milk to be different consistency? On the side that's bigger tonight (this is side baby always nurses) the milk is more watered down and thinner looking. The smaller side is where we were already milking to keep the udder even the milk is slightly thicker and whiter in color.

·
Registered
31,508 Posts
not a crazy question at all...thisis my thought on it...
the baby is keeping the milk flowing on theone side, so its more of what you might expect from a well nursed side..the other side may still have some colostrum in it and with it only being milked to keep it even a few times day..the milk sits a bit longer..You can try milkingit totaly out a few times see what you get :D Keep us posted to see if my hypothosis is right lol

·
2,962 Posts
Sounds like she could have some congestion in her udder. I had a doe that kidded this year with the same symptoms. Only one side felt full and tight so I milked her out and massaged the udder with Bag Balm and soothed it with warm compresses. It got better after a few days but I still have to milk the side the baby doesn't nurse. He never seems to want to nurse from the other side.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
the larger size is likely from supply and demand -- it also may produce easier and flow easier so thats why the kid favors it.

If you are worried about possible mastitis get some strips and have it tested.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We have been milking her from both sides and it is helping quite a bit but still a difference in size. The teat that the kid favors is bigger than the other. Is this normal? Temp of her udder is normal not hot or cold. When we got home this afternoon she had little bites on both teats and slightly above them. The knats here are horrible this year. I believe she is being bit by them now ( I say this because they are flying around her udder). We sprayed her top and sides with livestock fly spray (making sure to avoid the udder area) we cleaned her udder and teats with a wet washcloth. Is there something we can use that will help?

·
Registered
31,508 Posts
try apple cider vinegar..keeps knats off well..just spritze her every so often..wont hurt her baby either ..

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone for the great advice. You guys are GREAT:) I will keep you updated. Also if I wanted to get strips to test for mastitis where do you purchase them from?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts