The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doe Muffin has something going on with one of her eyes. I noticed last week that she was squinting a little. I checked it and could find nothing wrong but today I noticed it was watering running down her face. After further inspection ....it is very cloudy and looks to be filled with fluid .

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
That kind of looks like it could be pinkeye to me. Get some sterile eye solution (for cleaning eyes) and flush her eyes with that, then put a few drops of tetracycline (LA 200) in each eye a few times a day. You can also use triple antibiotic ointment for people, just smear a good amount of the ointment over her eye from front to back. The drops are a little easier to use though since the ointment like to stick to everything but the goats eye.

It also wouldn't hurt to give her a round of LA 200 (injected) to treat her systemically as well. Unfortunately pinkeye is a virus so it does have to run its course but you can treat the eye to prevent further infection. I would also separate her from the herd and I would keep her in a dark stall so the sun doesn't irritate her eyes more.

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
That is an ulcerated eye caused by pink eye..You dont want to use any antibioitc in the eye at this point...use instead Triple Antibiotic Opthalmic Ointment which is a triple antibiotic cream ..but hard to get a hold of..if you cant find any I used Neospordin with great success...keeping her out of the sun and keep the eye area clean and dry as best you can..

good article to read
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/pinkeyeingoats.html

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have already separated her from the herd into a pen far away. I don't have any la200 but I can get some tomorrow. All I have is tylan 200 and some terimicin spray.

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
Dont use tylan or LA in her eye...once ulcerated it can cause more damage..just pick up some triple antibiotic cream like neospordin...or generic

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is an ulcerated eye caused by pink eye..You dont want to use any antibioitc in the eye at this point...use instead Triple Antibiotic Opthalmic Ointment which is a triple antibiotic cream ..but hard to get a hold of..if you cant find any I used Neospordin with great success...keeping her out of the sun and keep the eye area clean and dry as best you can..

good article to read
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/pinkeyeingoats.html
On that site it said to use neomycin also. I do have some of that. Do I put it in the eye or orally?

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
The neomycin is included int he prescription triple antibiotic opthalmic cream ..I would use the neospordin or generic..its not expensive and does work..just put a pea size on your clean gloved finger,,pull down her lower lid and wipe the cream in the lid..push the lid up to spread the cream in the eye..: ) do this 2-3 times a day until they eye is healed..

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The neomycin is included int he prescription triple antibiotic opthalmic cream ..I would use the neospordin or generic..its not expensive and does work..just put a pea size on your clean gloved finger,,pull down her lower lid and wipe the cream in the lid..push the lid up to spread the cream in the eye..: ) do this 2-3 times a day until they eye is healed..
Ok I already have some neo. And pink eye spray from tsc. How long does it usually take to heal?

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
its viral..it will have to run its course...being ulcerated will take longer...once she is no longer tearing and her face stays dry she can run with everyone else..using vinegar and water solution to wipe the face and eye area avoiding the eye will help keep the area clean and disinfected

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Of course when ya need something it can't be found :) I have some bacitracin zinc ointment that I did find. Can I use it tonight and get some more neo in the morning?

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
I think either would do : )

Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates and Bacitracin Zinc Opthalmic Ointment (Triple Antibiotic Opthalmic Ointment)
is what is suggested before neosp. ..but hard to get a hold of...

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have been treating her eye 4-5 times with the spray and ointment. When do you think it will be safe to put her back in with the others. I have let my bucks out last weekend to breed my does. I have seen all of them get bred. I was hoping to have her bred also around the same time so that all will Kidd about the same time. It's no big deal if I have to wait. I would rather have her bred late than have the rest get pink eye. I just know nothing about pink eye or how long it is contagious. Will post a pic of her eye from today .let me know what you think:)

·
Registered
626 Posts
We had a wether witch had the same thing that your doe has and we squirted 1cc of Pen G once a day and sprayed Vetrycin on it and his eye was fine is about a week.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We had a wether witch had the same thing that your doe has and we squirted 1cc of Pen G once a day and sprayed Vetrycin on it and his eye was fine is about a week.
I've been spraying the vetrycin and putting neosporin . It's definitely getting better.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts