Help! When to pull ND babies for Mom's health?

Discussion in 'Birth Announcements' started by kitten6500, Feb 21, 2011.

1. kitten6500

kitten6500 New Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Some of you might remember that I got a pregnant doe that was really skinny and mineral deficient (I learned from this forum about fishtail tail- she totally had it!)- she continued to do great and I woke up this morning to 2 kids! One boy, one girl!

The boy is big and strong, but the girl is really really tiny (although acting good). They were both dry and active when I got to them at 8am, but it's really cold and at 11am the girl was shivering a lot and getting a little trampled by her Brother, so I milked Mom and brought the girl into the house. (She has eaten about a 1/4 ounce of Mom's milk from a bottle since coming inside). I was planning on just milking Mom for a day or so to give both kids as much colostrum as possible, and then get them both onto bottles. I have another doe in milk so I'll have lots of milk for them, but I want to be sure they are getting enough colostrum, but also want to have Mom dry up ASAP. She still has some recovery of her own and I want her body to focus on itself, not milk for them...

So- should the little girl go back outside with Mom or stay inside with me? When should I also pull the boy for bottle feeding? & How long should I be giving them Mom's milk for/when can I safely get them onto my other doe's milk?

Thank you in advance for any help! I'm soooo glad both mom and babies are doing great, but I want to be sure they stay that way! :)

2. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

Hey Emily!

CONGRATS on Poetry having babies, and hey she gave you a girl YAY!!

As for the doeling, it sounds like she may benefit from being bottle fed, if shes really tiny.

3. kitten6500

kitten6500 New Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Thanks!! I can't tell if she's polled yet....! Both are gold and white, and I think both blue eyed!

When should I pull the boy? He looks great, so I'm pulling him just to dry up mom.....

4. kitten6500

kitten6500 New Member

Dec 31, 2010
    So when do you think I should pull the boy and bottle feed him? Should I do it tonight or maybe give him another 24 hours with Mom? Both babies and mom are still doing great- I just want to make sure they get their colostrum and then Mom can dry up!

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    They benefit best from colostrum within the first 24 hours, if you want mom to dry off, getting the buck started on a bottle as soon as possible will help ensure that he won't fight you with the transition. Milk mom enough so that you can mix her milk with the other goats milk for the first bottle feeding.
    Congrats on a healthy birth... :kidblue: :kidred: :leap:

6. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Yes, what everyone else said. If you don't get him started on a bottle right away it will be really hard to get it done.

Jan

7. kitten6500

kitten6500 New Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Thanks so much, guys!! I'm pulling him now- he is a TANK! No wonder the girl is so small! But she's doing great- took almost a whole ounce this last feeding and is now asleep in a towel on the couch. Now to keep the cats away since they want to curl up with her and lick her.....