Help with 1 day kid/Weak!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by gotgoats, Nov 9, 2008.

1. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma
    I have a kid almost 24 hrs old that is very weak. She was fine earlier today. Checked her this afternoon. She was up but not moving about like the other. After hanging out awhile I noticed she would either just stand still for a long time or lie down and appear just exhausted. I took her temp. 100.3 (I am not sure my therm. is correct, but I'm sure it is close, going to get a different one to try). Belly feels full. Put her up to her mother, and she took 5 swallows and her hindlegs slide out behind her, and after that she maa'd and gave up and stood there. I am not sure if the plywood she was on was slick and caused this or not. I can't get her to walk around to see if she has problem with hind legs. No respiratory difficulties, has had yellow poop. Tail is down and ears too. I put her under the heat lamp and put a onesie on her. Her sister is up getting around and not appears to have the same problems.

Weak kid syndrome, floppy, white muscle disease etc? What should I do? I am going to give her some nutridrench, and possibly bring her in the house to warm her up if her temp is still low. Thought about giving some warm coffee. Thanks in advance

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Her temp isn't real low but getting her under the heat lamp is a good thing, the nutridrench is also a very good thing to do, as far as her "falling", it may have been the slippery floor. Poop being yellow is a good sign that she's nursing. All I can suggest is to be sure she stays warm and continues to nurse. I've not ever dealt with selenium deficient kids, so I wouldn't know where to start on that one...hope she comes around for you.

3. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma
    I went ahead and brought her inside and placed her on a towel covering a heating pad set on low. Nutri drench was given. Checked temp twice actually 99.3 and with a new therm. (I was adding a degree like we do for under the arm like humans, duh). She did try walking, acts weak but kept legs up underneath her. Since, I brought her inside how often does she need to nurse or milk? Should I even worry about that now? She did get colostrum yesterday.

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Since she is so new, I would think she'd need to eat every 3 hours at about 2-3 ounces each feeding....I don't know if taking her in and out to mom would be for the best as you really don't want her chilled, going from warm to cold....at least here its about 38* outside. Try getting her onto a bottle asap, even if she takes a little bit every hour , it's best to keep her belly full, as that will help warm her also.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Just know.... if you keep the baby separated to long from momma ... you will have a bottle baby...on your hands....

get the milk from her mom ... ..then feed her from a bottle .....if you plan on keeping the baby from mom....other than that ...if you decide.... you can take her back and forth to mom ...let her feed and take the little one back in....but it's like Liz says ..the temperature change.....it is kinda do I ...or don't I ..thing.. :)
    But what I do ...is pen them in a smaller area with the heat lamp,,, give nutra drench to her everyday until...she is strong enough to get around and doing well....and go out every couple of hours and make sure the baby eats and is staying warm under the heat lamp.......feel and make sure you can feel the heat on top of your hand where the little ones head would be...if it is to hot on your hand ...raise it up ...if it is to cold lower it........that way she is still with her mom...This was the squishy story I posted a while back..I don't know if you seen it...:) It is up to you ...good luck in your decision...no matter what it may be.... :pray:

6. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma
    Her body temp is warmer, but she continues to get worse. I tried taking her out to nurse...barely able to stand made no attempt/no desire to nurse. Gave tsp baking soda and went ahead and gave la 200. I figure if I don't try she's not going to make it anyway. I just got some bcomplex thought I'd give her some of that. Would Lactated Ringers be a try? How much do you give Subc. Her tummy is no longer feeling full. I tried bottle feeding with no luck.
    Any suggestions, I know they're most likely last resort. :sigh:

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    You may need to tube feed her, I've never done it so I'm sorry I can't help with that one.....I have heard that a selenium deficiency will cause a kid to not be able to nurse, but she did at first which is why I'm stumbling here...if you can't tube her then try getting a bit of moms milk into her with a syringe. I hope she makes it, it doesn't seem like she has an infection with a body temp such as hers...the selenium may be something to try though.

8. whatknott

whatknott New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    not sure if it's too late, but get some colstrum from the doe; put in a syringe and warm the syringe in very hot water. Then squirt it in the baby's mouth. Keep that up for awhile.
    I also like to keep the weak babies in a laundry basket. put towels around the baby. Then I fill empty milk cartons with the hottest water I can get and put them around the baby (towels may be needed around the cartons). If it's weak from being cold, the hot water bottles seem to help more than a heating pad. If she's weak from not eating enough, the warm colstrum will help. I don't think selenium hits them that quickly, but not sure about that.

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    If her temp goes down again I would make a mixture of whiskey, molasses, coffee in three equal parts and give her 1-2cc every half hour until you get her temp up.

Does she seem in pain? If you have entero antitoxin I would give her some.

I did tube a goat for the first time a couple days ago. It's not as hard as it sounds. Do you have a weak kid syringe?

The goat I did it to didn't seem bloated, but I did it anyways as a last resort. She started eating right after my mom and I did it. It was weird.

Lactated Ringers may help, it can't hurt. :hug: :pray:

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    do you think she is lethargic because of low sugar level? maybe try to give her some warmed malasses or Karo syrup .. mix equal parts coffee and Karo syrup/or malasses... to give her a quick boost. just a couple of cc's once per hour (for 2 or 3 hours) will usually perk them right up if that's the problem....when her blood sugar is back to normal she should be eager for milk...
    give it by syringe.....without needle into the back of her mouth....very slowly..

11. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma
    Since then I have given her a B12 complex inj. and some coffee. I was able to get a little milk down her using a syringe. Unfortunately, I don't have a weak syringe tube, and I'm kicking myself for not picking that up when I ran to Tractor Supply. She has actually stood up 3 different times since the coffee. I have tried to give more milk by syringe and bottle with little luck. She probably has taken 1 1/2 oz. My hubby just got in and is going to see if he can milk her momma and get some of the real stuff, and try again. I've never had much luck (he grew up on a dairy). I am going to try the molasses/karo syrup thing. She is staying warm....last check 102.3. I hope to get her thru the night...at least we can go to the vet in the am. I let you know how things go.

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    have you gotten any milk in her since you pulled her? That is most needed now that you have her temp up. Goats keep warm by digesting.

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    try stimulation...when feeding......tickle with your fingers on her tail head on top of her back area....it's what momma does..when they nurse....
    I hate those hard syringes they can give you a big burst at one time ...in which can drown a baby..so be careful..you may not want to use that particular syringe anymore ...try getting a new one...... :( ..hopefully DH can get her ..get back in the grove.....but do try the stimulation method it does help alot....great news on her temp.....at least it is back to normal....good luck with her......... :pray: I will pray that she will be OK....

14. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I just cant suggest strongly enough that everyone learns how to tube a kid. It has saved many kids for me, its not hard and very safe if you know how to do it. Just a couple days ago I saved a little buck by tubing him, he got wet and cold and had no suck whatsoever. I tubed him three times that day and by the next day he was sucking from mum again.

Good luck with your kid

15. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I would definitely try tubing him as well...it's not that hard...

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    forgot to mention....
    on the bottom of the video box.... you have to push the play button for it to load.....
    I noticed I had to turn the volume way up to hear it.......also...

18. gotgoats

gotgoats New Member

Nov 10, 2007
    oklahoma
    My DH came home milked the momma goat. He is concerned she is not making enough milk. He was not able to get much from her. He feels she might only have enough to feed one. Any thoughts.
    He had the idea to use airline tubing for tubing her. We tried it and it worked. We gave her around an oz of milk. How much when tube feeding and how often? I have read between 2-4 oz. My goat was 5lbs 8 oz at birth.
    Her temp is now 104.3. I have gave her molasses too.
    You guys are going to think I have way too many questions, but everyone has been so great. Sorry

19. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Watch the temp you don't want her getting too warm either.

Glad you figured out the tubing. I haven't actually tube fed before so I don't know how much to give, how often.

Don't worry about the Q's thats how we learn.

20. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    never feel bad about... to many questions ...it is why we are hear.... :)
    in the video ......yes ........the vet said.... 2-4 oz ..I am so glad you tubed her...
    good job... :thumbup:
    be careful with her temp ....just like RunAround said ...did you temp her just after you fed?

yes for milk “let down”......you can get Oxytocin...from your vet...I do not know... if it is to late to give it to her though.....you will have to ask your vet...
    when goat kids... nudge there moms teats/bag.... it stimulates her milk to drop.....that is one way to get her to produce more....lots of stimulation...even milking her for the weak kid helps stimulate her to produce more milk.........nudge the doe with your hand...bump up wards....on both sides........feed her good alfalfa and grain her .....she should kick in soon...with kid or human stimulation.....she will be fine...I can't remember is she a first time mom??
    Do you have any other does that have milk.....? Day 3 the colostrum is pretty much into the milk stage.........
    If not.... you will have to use a powdered mix or homemade recipe.... good luck.... :pray: