The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long post :(
About a month ago I got a call from my breeder friend.She said she had a goat that was a triplet and the mother was rejecting it. He also was born with weak legs and walking on his knee joints, she did not have the freedom to be able to bottle feed him so she asked if I could, I picked him up and brought him home. We did Selenium and B complex twice. After a few days he was able to walk semi normally. The main problem is he wont eat. He will take maybe 2-4 oz per feeding and that is it. In a months time he has barely gained 2 lbs. I have been doing milk bottles every 4-6 hours, allowing him to graze out with the rest of the goats in the yard- so he has grass, hay, and minimal grain available. For the most part he seems happy, he follows me everywhere, he runs around, he plays a little, his poop and pee are completely normal and a fecal test revealed nothing abnormal under the microscope. I've been trying to get electrolytes in him as well as some nutri drench. This week it got worse with his eating and he has lost about 6 oz in 4 days. I am at a loss what to do with him and so sad seeing him wither away. Any advice is appreciated

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He was about 4 days old when I got him. I am feeding him a mix of Buttermilk, evaporated milk, and whole milk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Which breed is the kid and how much does he weigh now? Was he a normal birth weight?

Is he excited when presented with a bottle but just stops sucking after 2 ounces? Or he doesn't show much excitement at feeding time?
He is a pure bred myotonic. He weighed 4lbs 3 oz at birth. A little on the low side but not terrible. As of this morning he weighs 6 lbs 11 oz. His siblings however weigh 17 and 24 lbs right now.
He does not have a very good suck reflex, most of the time he just lets the milk dribble down his throat and then swallows. He has been checked for a cleft palate and that is also not the case. Occasionally he will suckle a little but not much. He does not show excitement at feeding time very often, Once it gets started he will tip his head back to continue the feeding though.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
If he doesn't take to drinking the milk from a bowl, I would consider learning to tube feed and trying that 3x per day for one week to see if he gains weight that way. It really is not as scary/hard as it sounds. You would want to put 5-6 ounces per feeding in provided that amount doesn't make his belly too round/firm. Be sure the milk is around 100*F so you aren't dropping him sub-temp when tubing.

B-Complex injections (0.5 - 1cc) subcutaneously for 5 days straight may help get his appetite up as well.

·
Registered
70 Posts
He is a pure bred myotonic. He weighed 4lbs 3 oz at birth. A little on the low side but not terrible. As of this morning he weighs 6 lbs 11 oz. His siblings however weigh 17 and 24 lbs right now.
He does not have a very good suck reflex, most of the time he just lets the milk dribble down his throat and then swallows. He has been checked for a cleft palate and that is also not the case. Occasionally he will suckle a little but not much. He does not show excitement at feeding time very often, Once it gets started he will tip his head back to continue the feeding though.
How old is he now? Do you have any other goats in milk?

·
Registered
70 Posts
He is 5 weeks old now. No, none of my does have milk right now
Do you have any friends who can donate a little milk for him to try? Just a thought, sometimes if I have had a bottle baby that isn't wanting the baba I can motivate them with some actual milk, I warm it up in the bottle warmer from my kids lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts