HELP WITH ABSCESS..

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by backyardfarmer, Feb 3, 2010.

1. backyardfarmer

backyardfarmer Guest

Feb 1, 2010
    My 1 1/2 year old billy got a abscess around his stifle joint and I'm trying to figure out if it is CL. I noticed it about August of '09 size was about 1/2" by 1". I talked to some people and they told me just watch it. About a week ago I noticed it and it was the size of a golf ball so I called the vet and he told me the best thing to do would be to lance it. So I lanced it and got yellowish,whitesh,tooth pasty puss out(don't know if their was a smell).I kept it wet to keep the cut open so it could drain but it popped at the very top.
    The person I got him from gave him a cdt shot but don't know where he gave it to him at.

Does this sound like a CL Abscess or just a wound or cdt shot abscess.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    It really sounds like CL to me - an abscess from the CDT shot should have went away- was there any hair on it or was it bald-mushy or firm?? Burn everything that came into contact with the puss including gloves, and what not- I would sterilize EVERYTHING the goat came into contact with-I hope you had him separate when you lanced it? If not-the puss can get into the ground and there is a chance that your other goats can get CL also. We actually had a bad problem with CL before we moved-We finally got rid of all of our goats that came into contact with it- It is very common in most farms and not life threatning-there is also no cure for it-If you could inject it with formalin-it would help heal. Good luck!!

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    stifle is not a normal place for CD/T to be given but its possible. If the shot got infected yes it could develop into an abscess

I would contact the breeder to see if they do shots in that area or not.

Send the gunk to a lab to be tested for CL just in case and they can tell you if its just a staff infection or truly is CL

4. backyardfarmer

backyardfarmer Guest

Feb 1, 2010
    Their was a little hair on it and it was a little more firm than mushy. And I burnt everything and sanitized everything. Would it be best to get rid of him?

I will try and contact the breeder. Would it be best to stick a needle in the abscess and pull some puss out?

I was just wondering if it was CL cause it took almost 6 months to get ripe.

5. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Most of our CL that we had in the past -by the time we noticed the hair coming off-it bursted in about 2 months- I would do like Stacey said-send it in just to see if it is CL- If it is-it depends on how good this buck is, and how often it re-occurs on him-whether to keep him or not. here is a good article on CL.
    http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/artic ... nitis.html

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    unless you get him destroyed it wouldnt be wise to "get rid of him" until you know what you are dealing with

plus not all abscesses are CL. Goats get staff infections as well.

yes drawing out the puss with a syringe would be ideal and send it to a lab for testing. YOu can ask your vet or send it to WADDL yourself.

7. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

Yes, not all abcesses are from CL. He could have gotten a hay splinter or something stuck and there for an infection. Dont jump the gun too quick on getting rid of him. But if he does turn up to be CL you can slaughter him and it wont affect you.