Help with barn flooring?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by HoosierShadow, Sep 20, 2020.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I could really use some last minute ideas! We are getting our carport sometime next week to turn into a new doe shelter/show barn for my daughter. We have 2" gravel down as the area is nearby the creek and drainage issues in wet months. So it's about 1' deep. We want to put something in over the gravel to pack it in - something we can sweep goat poop up without sweeping up the flooring too.
    Local farm store recommended Class I sand which is a mix of tiny pebbles and dust, but the problem is, we feel it will be easy to sweep up over time as the pebbles come loose.
    I'm not sure if crushed limestone is the same thing/different name. I've also been told dirty mix? We want something that will drain and not be awful for them to sleep on. Ideally I'd love to use shavings or straw on top.

We didn't go with cement because we wanted something that would allow for drainage. Open to any ideas that can be done in a matter of a few days.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

I saw a goat barn that put down sand then the roll out rubber roofing underlay stuff. They made a slope in the middle for a small trench for the urine to flow into. They are happy with it.

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Anything you put down will erode and you will have to add more. Depending on how careful you are will depend on the frequency. I do clean limestone screenings. It has been 5 years and this year I need to add more.

4. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks I appreciate it. Who knew this would be a hard decision? lol

Moers kiko boars and Sfgwife like this.
  5. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I have plywood on top of cattle panels. The cattle panels keep the floor sturdy & dry. The plywood once painted with cheap paint is sealed. I put the paint on thick..and leave little brush lines in the paint. It adds ridges so.not as slick to hooves. I just.use a broom..or pour soapy water.on an area and sweep out.

Nigerian dwarf goat likes this.
  6. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I love my horse matts on the dirt floor!

7. friesian49

friesian49 Active Member

Jul 2, 2018
    PA
    I have the limestone 2b and then put limestone dust on top. I use a little dust broom and pan to sweep up the turds, so each year I put in another 500 lbs or so of the dust to level it off.

Last winter was way too muddy and I had an aha moment and went to TSC and bought 3x5 or so rubber stall mats. I have one under the hay rack and then 2 leading into the barn. Then it got to be so dang wet and muddy outside, that I got two more for the outdoor hay rack. On nice days I'd take them out to let the floor air out and I'd move the outside ones to different spots with they hay rack (has wheels) Best buy ever!

8. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks so much! Okay, so I think we're going to go with Ag Lime on top of the gravel, although my husband wants to probably get a load of driveway gravel to put on top of the gravel we have down, and then put the Ag Lime on top of that.

I found an ad on FB that has a great example of the different types of gravel.
    Ag Lime is top left corner, and the Class I sand I have been mentioning is next to it for comparison. You can see what I mean about being pebbled rock.
    [​IMG]

We may end up taking the stall mats out of our existing barn and put over the ag lime in the new barn at least in the areas where the goats will be (stalls/back sleeping area). Once we get this new barn project squared away, we'll eventually be redoing the other barn, tearing out stalls/walls, etc. and eventually do gravel and Ag Lime in there for added space, equipment/hay/grain storage (we keep grain and show stuff in a shed).