help with bedding; any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by moday, Jul 22, 2009.

1. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    We've had 3 goats living in an acre area, but their barn is 8 x 8 ft. The straw area is 4 x 8 and about 8 inches deep. I change this once in a while. They are boer goats and spent most of their time outside until recently. We added two little ones (not bred here) from a friend, so now there are 5 goats. The straw area is always saturated and feels /sounds squishy. I think the ground where they would sleep has just met it's limit of saturation. I want to dig down a few inches below the straw and start over. Any suggestions for a base? I was thinking gravel or pea stone , then sand , then woodchips and then straw on top.

Another person said just use pine shavings below the straw and that should work. I don't have a problem in the winter. It's like this year the ground can take no more moisture.

Thanks, in advance!

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I'm having the same issue, after just a few days it gets that squishy feeling again and I don't like it. I tried putting down gravel but that didn't work. So I just recently tried putting down Sweet PDZ after I cleaned and putting about 3 bags of shavings on top of that. So far it seems to be working.

You could try putting down the wood pellet bedding, then shavings or straw.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    a 4x8 area isnt enough for 5 large breed goats you need something bigger or you will have this problem nomatter what you do.

I do use the Sweet PDZ but it only works to an extent.

You need to air out the area - like clean in the morning and dont lay down new bedding till evening (do this on a dry sunny day).

Goats pee on hay - its just what they do. So try putting out a hay pile outside so they will be enticed to pee out there instead of in the barn. This will cut down the amount of pee that part of the barn has to handle.

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    in the summer i dont give mine any bedding, they dont need it and its expensive. I have a 'winter' pen it has a smaller pen and a much larger house with storage area and in the summer they go to a 'summer' pen which is very large and the houses are smaller, they usually sleep outside anyway. that way the winter pen can dry out all summer and the summer pen can not get mucky during the winter..works great.

winter i use the pellets then a layer of straw on top, I stop putting straw on it after the first layer, cuz they then use the wasted hay to lay on.

5. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I don't use any bedding in the summer either. The urine sinks into the ground or evaporates when there's no bedding. The bedding just acts like a sponge and keeps everything moist and squishy...and smelly. There is no noticeable odor when the floor is kept bare. I usually sweep up berries and any wasted hay every couple days and the floor stays clean and dry.

6. Well, I am the odd ball I guess. I don't use bedding any time. My goats have a good open shelter, one of the big water whistles that you can drive though, cut in half. I have all but a small spot open in the back for air flow and so forth. Anyway, I have it on the highest part of my pens. In the winter, we use bales of hey and what get tossed around they use to lay in but other then that, they don't have bedding and I nearly always have a dry floor unless we get a HARD HARD rain.

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    does it get cold in OK?

8. In the winter it can but I close up most of the shelter to cut the winds down. Honestly, I did not ware a coat but a had full of time when it showed and everything. It is not a bad cold and my guys get pretty dense coats. We had quite a few kids this year too so once out of the wind they are good. Mind you there is a pretty heavy tree line my pens set in as well.