help with birds

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by moday, Aug 21, 2009.

1. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Our goat shed is constantly filled with birds. Is that just part of farming, or is there a way to minimize them? It's an 8 deep x 16 wide (front) shed that is only open on half of the front.

We hung a plastic owl, but it didn't slow them down.

Any ideas?

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I on occassion get sparrows that will build nests, and blackbirds as well, not many but they can be troublesome with their droppings.

You say that half the front of the shed is covered, any way you can make a dutch type door for the goats entrance? Leave the bottom open and close the top part, birds aren't real fond of an area that is enclosed.

3. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Get one of those plastic strip door cover things, i dont know the proper name of them, but they also keep the flys out. You can also hang blank cd's fromt he ceiling of the shed. birds dont like shiny moving ojects. just hang them with fishing line so they spin.
    beth

4. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    What exactly is a dutch door? Is that like an upper and lower door? The opening is 8 ft wide, so a door is kind of difficult.

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I guess an 8 foot expanse would be difficult to frame in for a split door....try the CD'S or even aluminum pie plates...the movement of those shiny things will deter the birds.

6. grandmajo

grandmajo Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    Boy am I glad somebody posted this! I'm having the same problem. Aluminum pie plates, what a brilliant idea, Liz!!! :hug: I've got a whole stack of them that I found at a thrift shop for 10 cents.

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yep...anything shiny that will "move" in a breeze will usually keep birds away, my grandad used to tie them to posts in his garden to keep the little thieves away from his seedlings :greengrin: