The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Certified Codger
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our ND doe is in labor. There are two on the ground, one of those is dead. Here's a pic of what's bothering me.

Dog breed Working animal Liver Grass Fawn

Is there another one trying to get out, or is she through? There's a large bag of blood just below the clear one.

·
Certified Codger
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The clear bag only has fluid.

Reactions: Lil Boogie

·
Super Moderator
35,681 Posts
@olfart. How's things. That clear fluid bubble looks like a kid bubble. The blob behind is worrisome.....possible prolapse..or entagled dead baby? Sending good thoughts. Hope mom is ok

·
Certified Codger
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No luck with a vet. Both unavailable. I got my hand in as far as my thumb joint (about 6") and could not feel anything in the canal. I was unable to get any bounce, as her belly is too large and tight. If there's another kid, would it be within 6" of the vulva? All of her previous births have gone smooth as silk, and she passed the afterbirth shortly after. This blob hanging bothers me.

I finally got her to stand long enough to let the kid nurse a little, and she took a few bites of food. She normally sucks the food down like a vacuum.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Do you have raspberry leaves or alfalfa pellets? Calcium and/or selenium can help her move things.

It's hard to tell but in the photo I see two kid sacs- the lower dark one next to her udder looks like an aborted fetus and the top one looks like it could have gone either way- aborted or live...but it's been 2 hrs. I've yet to see an IRL prolapse in sheep or goats so I could certainly be missing something.

If it were me, I'd glove up and put antibiotic lube on and feel for a kid to pull. Though most of these TGS folks trim nails short and go in with clean and bare hands.

Sorry she's struggling for you. Keep us posted.

·
Super Moderator
35,681 Posts
I would get on the horn..find a vet who will see her but if that is just not possible...do as suggested and go in. Lots and lots of lube. Do not pull anything with out bones in it....all soft tissue matter leave intaked.
The calcium and raspberry leaves won't hurt

·
Certified Codger
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No vet in this end of the world will work on a Friday night. Both locals are out of town, as their offices closed early.

No raspberry leaves, no alfalfa here.

As stated above, I DID run my clean bare hand in as far as I could (about 6") and did not feel anything in the canal. There was a solid mass under the canal, but not in it. Would a kid be within 6"?

I did get her to stand long enough for the kid to nurse a little, and I milked some to put in a bottle for him if he's unable to get more from her.

·
Certified Codger
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just gave her some selenium with E and offered molasses water, but she didn't show any interest in it. While she was standing, a blob came out, but of course she laid down in it before I could get back with the camera. You can still see most of the blob.
Fawn Vegetable Terrestrial animal Grass Suidae

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
That blob looks more placenta like to me. Altho possibly a kid sack looking closer at the one side? Is she actively pushing?

I’m glad the weird one just had blood in it. That makes me re think the prolapse since it wasn’t a solid mass.
I hope she perks up and takes interest in the live kid. I’d try to get her up so it can nurse again. Nursing will help her finish cleaning out.
Good luck 🍀

·
Registered
I miss my ducks
5,723 Posts
That looks like afterbirth. I'd still go further in and check. If you don't have lube you can use olive oil.. it works in a pinch. Good luck and congrats on the baby boy. Keep us updated.

Reactions: olfart

·
Certified Codger
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Baby is OK this morning. Mama is not doing well. When I can get her to stand, the kid is not aggressive about suckling, and she gets tired and goes down again. She is still as wide as she is tall and seems to be pushing. Still has a long string of tissue hanging out, and now it's covered with hay and dirt. All of the bags of fluid have burst. She still has no interest in molasses water or food.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts