help with boer goat trimming

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by moday, Aug 23, 2009.

1. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    We are taking our boar goats to the community fair this week.

I believe that we waited too long to trim them, as the clipper marks show.

Anyhow, where do you not shave? I believe that you don't shave legs and head. Is that true?

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    wethers or breeding stock?

breeding stock is almost never slick sheared, just clean up the tail, and butt area so its all even, and then I usually take and inch off the belly and neck, to clean up the profile, I do this 2 weeks prior so the clipper blade marks dont show.

wethers are usually slicked down to the skin.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes ..Katrina....is right....and also... trim the hair up near the hoof line...basically...trim anywhere.. that there are hairs sticking out...to clean them up... :thumbup: :greengrin:

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yup!

[​IMG]

you'll notice on katie (our model above) that her tail is very neat (goats with fluffy tails bug me...lol) i take the top fluff off, so its about an inch from the tailhead. (gives added overall length), also i take the clippers and go up each side.

doing feet is really easy, just go straight up from the hoof to about the coronet band, so you can see they have hooves under all that hair!

and i've seen some who will take all of the whiskers off the face, exculding eyelashes..not sure about it, but it does give them a clean look.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :thumbup: :wink: :)

katie is very pretty ...she cleans up very nice Katrina... :thumb: :thumbup: