Help with Boer Goats and Breeding Requirements

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by moday, Sep 11, 2008.

1. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    We've got 3 meat goats, and what do you guys think about that breed for fairs? They are actually 3/4 Boer and 1/4 Alpine. They look like Boers more than anything.

Are these used often for Fair Showmanship for 4-H or Community Fairs? It seems like the small goats and the long floppy eared ones (Nubians??) were the winners at our fairs.

I wonder if I have gone down the wrong breed for showmanship animals?

Also, we hope to breed our 3/4 Boer 1/4 Alpines with a Boer Buck this fall. Is that the wrong thing to do? Maybe I should be looking for a 100% Alpine???

I really don't want to switch breeds.

Please advise.

2. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    Boers are the main meat breed. They are the main ones used in market classes at our fairs. To be entered in market classes, they have to be less than a year old and still have all their milk teeth. I would check with your county extension office to see what the requirements are since they are different in every state. Our county fair is in September and kids born from Jan to March are generally great candidates for market classes.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    alyssa_romine is right........ boers are getting more and more popular, they show real well at fairs and ABGA boer shows, of coarse.... I am a boer breeder so I believe in them, but it is a fact ....... :shades:
  4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I would breed them to a boer, they are already 3/4 boer, and it would take longer to get them back to alpine.

I thought showmanship classes depended upon what the 4-h kid knows about goat info and the goat that they are showing, not the breed? :?
  5. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Our fair has many boers and it is quite competative. I think that you have a good breed and breeding them to a boer buck is best. Goathappy- In our fair the showmanship is divided by breed s and you are in classes. Rookie,Junior,Intermediate,or Senior. Then the winners of the four are the showman for their age group. It is judged based on 1. knowledge about your goat including what and how much you feed, animal parts and so on. 2. The apperance of the animal. 3. The appearance of the showman. 4. How the goat and showman behave. :wink: