HELP WITH BREED MAKEUP OR ID

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by donbusbin, Jan 25, 2010.

1. donbusbin

donbusbin New Member

Aug 30, 2009
    IS THIS A GOAT OR WHAT? ANY IDEAS ON WHAT HE IS?
    HE STANDS 18 INCHES AT THE SHOULDER, MAYBE16 IF YOU PRESS DOWN THE HAIR. HE CERTAINLY SMELLS LIKE A GOAT!!

THANKS,
    DON

Attached Files:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    looks like a mini mix goat

but his coat is real rough looks like he needs a good mineral

3. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Nigerian Dwarf. Definitely not a Pygmy...He doesn't have the correct markings/build/appearance for a Pygmy. ;)

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    He's probably mostly some kind of mini mix...from nigerian dwarf to possibly fainter, probably not much, if any pygmy...he looks lean and a lot more dairy than a pygmy...and he doesn't have any pygmy markings. My best guess would say he's mostly nigerian dwarf. ;)

5. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Nigerian Dwarf mixed for sure. He's a cutie.

6. donbusbin

donbusbin New Member

Aug 30, 2009
    THANKS FOR THE HELP. I HAVE A VERY SMALL PYGAMY THAT I THOUGHT TO BREED WITH HIM HOPING TO DEVELOPE EVEN SMALLER ONES.
    DON

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    WOW if the Pygmy is really small, he is pretty big to breed with her.

Yep I agree with Stacey, he sure needs some good minerals and some food, he looks to be on the thin side.

8. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    How small is the doe? Do you have pictures of her too?

9. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    He's tiny, look at him next to the chickens! Do you know how old he is? He might get bigger. He's really cute.

But do you really want to breed smaller pygmies? Seems like they have more trouble kidding the smaller they get. I am breeding kinder goats, and it seems like pygmies are getting too small for that cross. I have a kinder doe I got from Missouri whose grandmother was a pygmy, so she was big enough to be bred to a nubian buck safely. I haven't ever seen a pygmy doe I would consider that with.

Jan in New Mexico

10. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    From his horn growth I'd guess him at about 12-18 months of age.... so he likely will still do some growing after getting some good nutrition, worming and minerals into him. I'd treat for cocci too.

oh and Jan.... I'd always thought that kinders were produced by breeding pygmy bucks to nubian does.... the other way around would likely kill any purebred pygmy doe. It's the same way with the myotonics when crossed with boers for a meatier kid. You would never breed a boer buck to a myo doe.... it is too risky.

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thats a risky business -- pygmies already have tough kiddings due to their size. YOu are risking needing to do Csections on all your does or loosing them in birthing

I have raised goats for 13 years and the only goats I have owned that had kidding difficulties were my pygmies and they were good size does too I cant imagine them being smaller and kidding.

12. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Re:Kinders

They can be bred either way, if you have the right goats, maybe she was a big pygmy and he was a little nubian buck. They just have to be 50/50 from registered stock and after the first time can only be bred kinder to kinder. That is if you want to register them. All of my first generation kinders were bred from nubian does. I agree it seems pretty scary. Maybe it was an accident, but I doubt it, knowing the breeder. They have a lot of experience, they are one of the earliest kinder breeders.

13. donbusbin

donbusbin New Member

Aug 30, 2009
    HE IS ACTUALLY IN PRETTY GOOD CONDITION JUST HAS A WINTER COAT BUT AS I HAVE JUST HAD HIM A WEEK I EXPECT HIM TO INPROVE QUICKLY. THE PYGAMY I HAVE IS JUST SLIGHTLY BIGGER THAN HE IS, MOST PYGAMIES ARE TALLER AND BIGGER FRAMED THAN HIM.
    THANKS,
    DON

14. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    A purebred pygmy is smaller and stockier than a Nigerian Dwarf. Perhaps she's a mutt?

15. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Actually there is not much difference in height or size of nigerians compared to pygmies. The nigerian height cannot exceed 22.5 inches and pygmy 22.3 inches. So not a big difference. But yes, pygmies should be bigger boned and stockier.

Don, unless you know the exact breed or cross of this buck you may not want to risk breeding him to your pygmy. She would probably be fine, but not sure if you'd really want to risk that.

Looking at the pics, it looks like this guy could definately use some TLC. You may want to copper bolus and deworm him and make sure to keep minerals available. :thumb:

16. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

He has quite a bit of horn growth for a younger buck. There is a tag in his ear does it have a year on it? A lot of tags will say the state and then have a date they were born. Also does he have any adult teeth? You can usually get a pretty good estimate on age by looking at teeth if they are under six years old.
    beth

17. donbusbin

donbusbin New Member

Aug 30, 2009
    THE TAG IS MINE, I TAG THEM ALL SO I CAN KEEP MY RECORDS STRAIGHT.
    I HAVEN'T CHECKED HIS TEETH AS HE IS STILL SHY AND STANDOFFISH AT THIS POINT. I TEND TO MAKE PETS (OR WOULD THAT BE PESTS) OF ALL MY ANIMALS SO THAT WILL CHANGE OVER THE NEXT FEW WEEKS AND THEN I CAN CHECK BUT FROM HIS APPEARANCE OF MATURITY, I'D SAY HE WAS AT LEAST TWO AND I,M REASONABLY SURE HE IS AS LARGE AS HE WILL BE ALTHOUGH I KNOW NOTHING OF THIS BREED.
    I MAY GO INSEARCH OF A LIKE TYPE DOE FOR HIM AS I THINK A POCKET SIZE GOAT WOULD BE VERY DESIREABLE FOR A SMALL PROPERTY OWNER NEEDING A PET.
    DON

18. Well, I think you have a lovely goat. Congrats.

I did want to add this bit of info for thought. If you have a dairy buck/dairy cross buck you do not want to breed that to your meat based does, here is why, and I have posted this before.

Dairy goats are heavy milkers, thus, their kids consume huge amounts of milk in order to grow. Meat goats are NOT dairy influenced, nor are they heavy milkers. They have small "milk on demand" udders that provide smaller amounts of milk in comparison to dairy, or Kiko and Boer........both of which had some dairy influence in their creation. Myotonics and Pygmies have a higher milk fat but not a higher volume. To ask a doe to raise a half dairy kid is a recipe for disaster for both the doe and the kid(s). Keep in mind it's not a matter upsetting breeds or crossing them, you just have to do it right. If not right, it becomes a matter of doing what is best for that doe that one might expect to birth and raise those kids for them. Too many folks never take into account what it is they are asking of their does in crossing them with other breeds, or they breed them too young and so on. Does this make since?

Hope this helps when the question of breeding dairy to meat. You need to breed the meat bucks to your dairy does, not the other way around.

19. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    have to disagree with the pygmy part --- because i have had pygmies raise half nigerian kids with no issues and actually pygmies can produce quite a bit of milk. Its supply and demand. The goat will produce more as the demand is there. Pgymies and nigerians are fed on the same amount of milk -- now if you are asking even a nigerian to raise a nubian.... that might be an issue

20. Well, I have seen pygmies with decent bags as with Myotonic does. However typically a meat goat would not in fact be able to properly raise a dairy goat. The reason these two breeds may be so close to each other in some ways may be due to the fact that when they were first imported the two breeds had little distinction between the two. This would seem to make possible crossing in the breeds early on until selective breeding was done later on. They also were imported from the same area of Africa where this could have been occured there as well over the years.