The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I decided to buy a burdizzo to castrate my 9 week old buckling because the fiasco farm website was so adamant (as well as some other articles I've read) that it was the most humane method of castration. I watched videos and read up-- it looked like it'd be fairly simple, but when I went to do it, the spermicidal cord kept slipping. After 3 tries, by boyfriend refused to hold the buck for me anymore and I had to stop. It looked really painful. How do I keep the cord from slipping? I held it as firmly as possible to the outside edge of his sack, but not matter what, I couldn't seem to hold it in place and it slipped out. It was a pretty upsetting experience, in fact. Should I just give up and band? I'm afraid to try again, but I don't know what I did wrong. Any tips or thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
14,771 Posts
I have up and went to banding. The main problem I was told from the man who just raved that that's the way to go is it's hard to find a good one.....not really a good brand but one that was made just right. He even said he had to return it 3X before he got a good one. I don't like them because it's such a long time for the whole process to even see if it worked. I ended up with a few with only one testicle and I just decided not to chance it any more. But for advise I really don't have any, it sounds like you did it right to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Goat Forum

·
4,328 Posts
When I started with goats I read the same things and was planning to do the same...but everyone I met banded. Once I saw how simple banding was I learned that way. The kids almost never cry or even react much to banding! They just seem a little sore for that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Goat Forum

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.