Help with CAE testing.

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by WalnutGroveFarm, Jul 25, 2009.

1. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I just need some advice. Im wanting to pull blood and have my goats tested next month, when they are all six months old. First what kind of blood collection tubes do I need to buy. Do they need to be 3ml or 10ml, and where can I get them. What size needle do I need to have to pull the blood? Also where is the best place to send the blood to? Should I test for CAE, CL and Johnes or should I just start out with CAE this year and then do all the others next year? They did come from CAE clean herds.

Also I do have one doe who is maybe pregnant not sure she has only been breed for two weeks. Will this be stressful for her? Do you think a person who draws blood from people would have an easy time with goats. I have a friend that is going to try to do it. Im not sure if I could are not. If you have any other suggestions Im open to them. Thanks in advance.

Edited to add: Also how much do these tests cost? Dont want to be worried about cost but it is something I have to think about. Thanks

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    may as well get them tested for everything.
    just my two cents :)

you can use a 3ml red top vaccutainer tube. those work great.
    I used a 20 gauge 1" needle with good sucess.

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Joanie -

Give me a call and I can give you all your options and what not - I am covered in 'buck' at the moment so dont want to use the keyboard much - 509-499-5828

4. WalnutGroveFarm

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Thanks for the advice, just afraid that I wont be able to afford to have all three tests done at this time. Do you have to pay up front or do they bill you later? Kelebek thanks for the offer of the phone call. I was just trying to get the information on here so I could keep going back and looking at it. thanks

5. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    They send you a bill. It is rather expensive...it cost me about $70 to have 2 goats tested for CL, CAE, and Johnes.

6. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yes the johnes is what kills the price.

you can have one tested for johnes, if they come positive, test the rest.

7. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I just had 3 goats tested in May for CAE/CL and Johnes. It was $64 which included the cost of testing, $10 account setup fee because I had never had any testing done before and the $10 shipping. They bill you later. I thought it was reasonable, but then again everything now days is pretty spendy.

FunnyRiverFarm-Where did you have your tests run at? I sent mine to WADDL.

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    You can be billed and you can make payments from WADDL -

So here is the deal -

Outside of Washington State -

10.00 - case fee (one time fee for each "package" - so how ever many tubes - still only 10.00)
    6.00 - per test for CAE
    9.00 - per test for CL
    6.00 - per test for Johnes
    -----
    31.00 for the first goat - 21.00 for each additional goat to test for everything.

For pregnancy - Biotracking - 7.50 per head

Personally - if you want the serology testing I strongly reccomend going through a State Veterinary Medical Lab instead of the others as the others are not regulated by state standards. If money is tight - I would reccomend dropping the johnes test and only doing CAE and CL - personally.

9. WalnutGroveFarm

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Thanks all for the help. Money is tight right now. But this is something I want done before I start breeding any more gals. I have one doe due in Dec, but going to go ahead and test her to. That way I can pull all the babies if I have to and bottle feed. Then I guess I will cull all the other does which will break my heart but I dont want to have to deal with this in my herd. Thanks again for the help.

10. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I had it done at WADDL too...it costs a lot more if you live outside the of state Washington.

11. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I always forget about that :wink:

12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Actually the difference in cost is 2-3 dollars per test if you live outside of Washington. CAE is 4.00 if inside WA and 6.00 if outside - CL is 6.00 in state and 9.00 out of state. The prices that I put up there for you are the out of state costs.

I personally live in Idaho, but I have a Washington PO Box and Business address that I use :wink:

Funny River - did you fedex to them using their FedEx account number?