The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wendy the boer goat has a golf ball size lump on her chest, the hair is still present on the lump. We treated the lump last Sunday with 3cc of formalin with no improvement, we injected another 3cc on Thursday. The lump now looks a little bigger but the hair is still on the lump. Should I use more formalin? Or wait until the hair falls off and lance/drain it?

Not sure what to do, this is our first time using formalin.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No- I have not tested her for CL. The gal I bought her from has had CL at her farm. That was my other thought to send in a blood test on her to make sure.

·
Registered
30,577 Posts
At this point it may be best to wait it out...once the cyst is soft in the center then you can lance and sendoff a sample. I wouldnt try to get a sample until its ripe...Be sure to have her in a spot easily cleaned and bleached with lancing.....

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I have never use Formalin myself but i have read about it some. You might want to take this advice as a jumping off point, but check into it more too! :D If the formalin is working, the whole abscess will act differently. It sort of gets mummified and does not progress the way it normally would have. So if it gets soft and acts like it is getting close to bursting, you may want to carefully lance and clean it out, sanitizing carefully afterward. If the abscess stays hard and turns blackish all over, it should fall off in good time without being a danger to your other goats. If it only gets partly mummified you need to use the formalin again on the area that is soft. Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Did you read the Tennessee meat goat article on using Formalin?
I think you are suppose to wait til the lump is ripe.

But even in a herd that has CL, this may not be CL. Is it over a lymph node?

Now that it's been injected with Formalin, I'm not sure if you can test it but if you had it tested and it was CL then you could wait til it was ripe and use the Formalin if that was your chosen method of dealing with it. I don't think I would inject any more formalin in to my goat if it were me. I would wait and see what happened with the lump now that you had injected it twice.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
in the meantime quarantine the goat until you know for sure what you are dealing with. as everyone on tgs knows i'm making it my mission in life to eradicate cl. good luck

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did read the tenn. meat goat site, I understood it as: Formalin needed to be injected before it was ripe and you need to wait until the hair falls off to lance and drain.

This is my first time dealing with any sort of a lump so I could use any tips anyone can offer. Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm just gonna wait it out and lance it when its ready. I'm gonna take a picture today and post it.

·
Registered
30,577 Posts
From what I have read With Formalin..it has to be done before too ripe but not when hard...too ripe the CL bursts during the injection and you end up needing to lance any way...too hard the Cyst wall is too thick and protective , keeping the infection enclosed..The injected formalin can not get deep enough to mummify the cyst...think of your fist..if you hold it tight there is very little to no "open space" but loosen it up and there is a center..its a fine line of when to do it for best results...I personally choose lancing ...formalin has too many risks and without truly understanding how it works..it can seep into body.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here she is, the lump seems to have a little crusty stuff on it this morning and the hair is getting thinner in spots. Does it look like its ready to be lanced?

On another note: I've owned Wanda and her sister for about 6 weeks now. They were skinny and both kidded twins in April, I thought with a little TCL they would perk up. We did worm with Ivermectin, started them on Manna Pro mineral and they have a good pasture with woods included. They both seem to be slowly gaining weight anything else I could offer them? I was thinking maybe trying Remalin plus.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
it looks abscessy with that hair missing like that.

I don't know the progression of formalin well enough to say if that's the formalin doing it's job or if it did nothing and the abscess is going through it's normal course.

If it comes a time to you lancing it, please be extra super duper careful. Formalin is a carcinogen and really really nasty stuff. When you cut into the abscess, you'll get highly contagious pus and carcinogen coming out.

·
Registered
30,577 Posts
I agree..looks about ready...if the center is very soft and thin feeling..then put her away..when dealing with this with the formalin wear long sleeves, long pant with shoes not flip flops...wear gloves and goggles..might seem a bit much but you are dealing with two different issues here..Cl and Formalin..Take all necessary procaustions dont risk it....best wishes

·
Registered
30,577 Posts
When lancing...use wads of paper towels to catch the puss...help keep it contained..squeeze from under the cyst out ward until nothing else comes out then flush several times with iodine solution...clean her entire chest area..front legs and neck to be sure no puss is left ..flush 3-4 times a day taking same precautions for 3-4 days until the cyst wall is thin and ready to heal...

burn everything you used in the lancing

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update on Wendy.

We lanced the abscess last night, extruded a thick white puss, irrigated with peroxide inside the cavity, and doused the rest with iodine. Should I repeat this process or wait to see if it dries up? I have read both.

I have her locked in the garage in a dog kennel how long should I keep her isolated? I sprayed the incision site with iodine again tonight. The lump has decreased in size and the incision in scabbed over.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
You need to keep flushing that out to make sure you got all the goop out or the abscess will reform. You can soak some paper or gauze in iodine and pack it in there to help keep it open for draining so you can make sure to get it all completely clean. And the iodine in there will keep disinfecting it. It takes a couple of days for the walls to thin and there to be no need for flushing it out any more. You'll know.

As for returning her to the herd - are you going to do any testing to see if she has CL? If you do and she's negative, return her any time. If she's positive, some would say cull, some say to make keep her isolated forever, some say vaccinate and return her when she's healed up to the point that she no longer scratches it off and can infect anything. It is your herd.

Remember that when flushing you need to use the same containment procedures as you did for lancing - there might still be bacteria in it.

It sounds like the Formalin didn't do anything in your case.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the advise, you guys are like cheerleaders.
I'm going to take a blood sample and send it in for testing. Pan American Vet Lab was mentioned in another post thought I would give them a try.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts