The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, long story short, I bought a new buck on Craigslist as I wanted to add some gene diversity to my herd. I didn't know anything about CL at the time (I certainly do now), and as unfortunate as that is, I am now dealing with a situation.

About 5 weeks after taking ownership, two small lumps appeared on either side of his jaw. One of the lumps grew rapidly to about a golf ball in size. My vet came and said it is most likely CL. He lanced and flushed the abscesses and took the pus to do lab work. He also took blood from 4 other goats in my herd to spot test for CL. I am now waiting for definitive results.

Most likely the lab will come back positive for CL. We don't really have a good way to separate the affected goat from the heard. I have him in a temporary pen right now and he is like a freaking ninja. He keeps getting out and getting under the main fence and back with general population. He has done this 4 times now and I am fearing that no matter what precautions I take, most likely my whole heard is now infected.

So, after careful consideration, I am planning to rehome/cull the sick goat asap and begin a regiment of getting rid of any goats that show abscesses in an attempt to eventually clean things up. After reading up on CL I am simply in awe that this disease is left in the wild to propagate unchecked. My main concern is the fact that this is a contagious zoonotic disease with no cure. I worry that the kids or my wife could contract it even with strict handling and hand washing rules. I've talked to a couple other local goat people and they kind of shrug CL off like it's a normal fact of goat keeping. Be that as it may, this is quite mind boggling to me. If it was just a gross goat disease I could deal with it, but that fact that it transmissible to humans, all bets are off.

Right now I am struggling with how to rid the farm of the infected goat. I don't want to do what the a-holes that sold him to me did and I don't believe the goat deserves to be euthanized but every time I think about it this is the only answer that makes sense. Simply put, I cannot keep a goat that is going to chronically ooze a zoonotic pathogen on my homestead.

So, looking for some moral support here and any advice. Maybe I am overreacting but...

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
31,783 Posts
I have been right where you are. Our first goat year we brought home 5 CL infected boer does. It was a night mare. I agree with you..selling him off only spreads the disease. You could take him to sell barn marked for meat. With him being a jumper..he is risking everyone. My vet told me that meat was a safe and viable option.
We spent several years cleaning the herd and property by culling any one with reoccurring CL. Meaning one CL, we took care of it but second infection they went for meat. It was hard because we make pets out of everything here.
I learned to Lance and flush the cyst myself as it was getting expensive having the vet come out.
Kep to a good healing is flushing a few times a day until the wall of the cyst thins..then let it heal. Once it's healed past the point of goop escaping the scab...they were let back into the herd.
I'm very sorry you are dealing with this. Keep in mind..blood test may only show the goat was exposed..doesn't mean they have CL. Iw would do daily check up but don't cull any one until you know they have cyst. Then testing pus is the only sure way to know for sure. But eventually you get to know what it looks like and ID it without testing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks folks. Yes, these goats are out extended family so this is a very hard choice. I have half a mind to pull out the Ruger 10/22 and take care of this right now. My vet is good but busy and I feel time is of the essense. He is also apprehensive about putting the goat down for this which is understandable because he probably has a different perspective. I however feel the goat needs to go.

The whole situation makes me lose sleep.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
31,783 Posts
What ever you choose to do is right for you. There is no wrong answer. Some people deal with CL and other just won't. I choose not to. I dealt with it before and as I stated was a night mare. Lots of wrong info..I was bran new and didn't know what I was doing. Thankfully my vet was able to get me going in the right direction before I ruined my whole herd and land. But I won't go that route again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What ever you choose to do is right for you. There is no wrong answer. Some people deal with CL and other just won't. I choose not to. I dealt with it before and as I stated was a night mare. Lots of wrong info..I was bran new and didn't know what I was doing. Thankfully my vet was able to get me going in the right direction before I ruined my whole herd and land. But I won't go that route again.
Yes, I feel the same way. Like I said, if this was a goat disease only and it was just occasional grossness, fine. But this is a zoonotic pathogen that is apparently highly infectious. My wife is freaked out and frankly so am I. There's very little info on human transmission but even if it is rare it is still a risk I am not willing to accept. I am in Northern California and willing to drive some. I need to get rid of this goat asap and I really, really don't want to do it the old fashioned way but that is an option too.

·
Super Moderator
31,783 Posts
As mentioned you can take to a sale barn marked for meat only
Advertise on CL or FB goat for meat.

Reactions: Moers kiko boars

·
Super Moderator
31,783 Posts
There is alot of conflicting information on whether CL is zoonotic. I personally am not convinced one way or the other so I error on safety and take care when dealing with the pus.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
There is alot of conflicting information on whether CL is zoonotic. I personally am not convinced one way or the other so I error on safety and take care when dealing with the pus.
I have heard of several cases of it being transmitted to humans. It’s extremely painful. I’ll have to see if I can find the articles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So test results came back CL+ for the goat with the abscesses. The rest of my herd came back clean. Now, my final question for those of you who have dealt with CL, how contagious is the CL bacteria after lancing and cleaning the abscesses? I only ask because the infected goat did escape a few times and pushed his way back in with general population for a few hours. My fear is now it is too late and the bacteria has already contaminated the pasture. His abscess incisions were already pretty dried out and closed up, but I don't know if more pus is shed after lancing and cleaning and how infectious it is after that. Everything I read said they should be isolated until fully healed, but unfrotunately this didn't happen. He cleared a 4.5' fence. This little guy does NOT like to be separated from the rest of the goats, naturally. When the vet lanced the abscesses, he also thoroughly cleaned them properly, but I simply don't know. I am afraid now that this nasty disease will crop up in my heard in a few months... :(

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Unfortunately, there’s no way of knowing if any pus got onto the pasture. It should be unlikely if it was cleaned thoroughly.

Keep an eye out for sure. Incubation is usually 3 to 6 months. You could always dry lot your herd and allow the pasture to rest if possible. Some people will also burn their pastures to kill off any bacteria.

Stay positive!

·
Registered
292 Posts
So, long story short, I bought a new buck on Craigslist as I wanted to add some gene diversity to my herd. I didn't know anything about CL at the time (I certainly do now), and as unfortunate as that is, I am now dealing with a situation.

About 5 weeks after taking ownership, two small lumps appeared on either side of his jaw. One of the lumps grew rapidly to about a golf ball in size. My vet came and said it is most likely CL. He lanced and flushed the abscesses and took the pus to do lab work. He also took blood from 4 other goats in my herd to spot test for CL. I am now waiting for definitive results.

Most likely the lab will come back positive for CL. We don't really have a good way to separate the affected goat from the heard. I have him in a temporary pen right now and he is like a freaking ninja. He keeps getting out and getting under the main fence and back with general population. He has done this 4 times now and I am fearing that no matter what precautions I take, most likely my whole heard is now infected.

So, after careful consideration, I am planning to rehome/cull the sick goat asap and begin a regiment of getting rid of any goats that show abscesses in an attempt to eventually clean things up. After reading up on CL I am simply in awe that this disease is left in the wild to propagate unchecked. My main concern is the fact that this is a contagious zoonotic disease with no cure. I worry that the kids or my wife could contract it even with strict handling and hand washing rules. I've talked to a couple other local goat people and they kind of shrug CL off like it's a normal fact of goat keeping. Be that as it may, this is quite mind boggling to me. If it was just a gross goat disease I could deal with it, but that fact that it transmissible to humans, all bets are off.

Right now I am struggling with how to rid the farm of the infected goat. I don't want to do what the a-holes that sold him to me did and I don't believe the goat deserves to be euthanized but every time I think about it this is the only answer that makes sense. Simply put, I cannot keep a goat that is going to chronically ooze a zoonotic pathogen on my homestead.

So, looking for some moral support here and any advice. Maybe I am overreacting but...

Thanks.
Ohhh NO..
you don't have to cull 😖 I put instructions for getting rid of CL PERMANENTLY! Anyone who wants to cure CL please look at my post on draxxin..I never would cull my goats, I searched for years and finally found a complete CURE..we had 5 CL goats, because I rescued all mine and certainly don't get vet paperwork. The same thing happened with my goats, you just can't contain them! My Mellow always got free no matter what I did.. we haven't had a cyst for 3 wonderful years.. the draxxin totally cured each goat 🐐🐐🐐 I am unbelievably sorry if I am too late 😖‼ K9

·
8,371 Posts
Sadly, around here, (this area) CL is an end game. Straight to the Sale barn in the meat pen. I am fortunate to never had it, don't want it and would cull if it happened. (had a scare years ago.).
I admire anyone that can work thru it, but as a milk shipper for human consumption- no disease is acceptable. I wish that there was a quick cure for CL and CAE- but, most people can't or won't try and work around those diseases. I don't know which is scarier! (cl or cae).

·
Registered
292 Posts
Sadly, around here, (this area) CL is an end game. Straight to the Sale barn in the meat pen. I am fortunate to never had it, don't want it and would cull if it happened. (had a scare years ago.).
I admire anyone that can work thru it, but as a milk shipper for human consumption- no disease is acceptable. I wish that there was a quick cure for CL and CAE- but, most people can't or won't try and work around those diseases. I don't know which is scarier! (cl or cae).
There IS A CURE‼ Ohh my I just saw your post.. there is a definite CURE... I posted it on this site and wish others would point new people to how I finally got rid of CL ! There wasn't a snowballs chance in hell I would ever kill one of my otherwise very healthy goats so for years I managed it. Checking for cyst constantly, I have found that in winter we never saw one cyst which got me thinking.. what is it about winter since I'm free of cyst all winter. I have all goats that I rescued, because Mellow was the first to form a cyst, I did everything possible to contain it.. and in the middle of the night Mellow ESACAPED and went in with the others.. even though we had double the height of the fencing.. I lanced and flushed all summer.. came upon a small study done on 12 goats, using draxxin.. my vet prescribed draxxin for me, $245 for a small bottle but completely worth it! I never used the entire bottle, when I saw a cyst, I'd inject only the cyst, I used 1cc each time. I didn't know that draxxin would CURE CL😯 I just thought I'd have more control as to not letting it pop around my others.. very long story short..we have been cyst free for now 4 years. If you ever want directions you can find my instructions or you can let me know that you would like help. I'm attaching a picture of Phoenix, this huge cyst never came to a head it just completely DISSAPEARED.. and no she doesn't have it internally 😊

Attachments

·
8,371 Posts
I am not trying to argue. I love my goats, but, they are a business. The blood tests that the State requires leaves no room for any abnormalities. TB,
brucellosis, CL, and other animal to human transmissible (or suspected transmissible) diseases are grounds to lose all my accreditation and
my herd.
I have to keep records of every goat that I have, sell or destroy. Talk about having the gov't. in your back pocket... I am so glad that CL can be maintained, or
possibly put into dormancy, that sure would make a lot of folks with their positive animals happy. I really hope that draxxin does work.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts