help with coughing goat

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by moday, Feb 5, 2009.

1. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    One of our 3 goats is coughing quite a bit. It's colder than heck here in Michigan, but the coughing seems to happen more.

Is this a sign of something that I should watch or possibly treat?

Is it normal, and/or when do I give in and call a Vet.

The other 2 seem ok.

Please advise and thanks in advance.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would get a temperature. Normal temp is 101-105

Keep a watch on the temp to make sure it doesnt go below that or above that.

Coughing can turn into pneumonia and that needs to be treated with penicillin or LA 200 Both of which I would have on hand just in case.

some coughing can be worm related. Ivermectin takes care of lungworms -- they dont show up on a fecal. Check eyelids for pinkness - pull down the lower lid and look

coughing can also be dust related because of dusty hay or dusty ground (not usual this time of year). Try changing to a differen bale of hay if you think this might be the culprit.

Exersize can also induce a little coughing in the colder temps.

3. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    surely 105 isnt a normal temp, Stacey? I would say 101-103 max?

LW

4. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    At the clinic I work at, 103 is normal, anything higher is considered a fever.
    Also, you can send in a fecal, and or nasal swab to the lab for lung worms. I have delt with this extensively, you can detect lung worms from a fecal, just not an easy thing to do and normally it has to be done in a lab.

My coughing goat had pasturella, which can be treated. Has your goat been vaccinated for pasturella?? You can send a nasal swab to the lab for that also..
    I would keep her away from your other goats so they don't catch the cough, something else I wish I had done..

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I am sure Stacey had a faster finger then she realized. Yes it is 103.

Is your hay at all dusty? Does this goat cough at all times or just during feeding?

If this was my goats I would watch to see how long this lasts. If it has been over a week and she does not have a temp, I would use Ivermecctin on her. I would bet it is lung worm. I had a new goat to my place that coughed all the time so I just gave her the Ivermectin and she was fine in a couple days.

6. PotterWatch

PotterWatch New Member

Jan 23, 2009
    So. California
    I have a goat that coughed a fair amount when we first brought her home. I treated with Ivercare and it seemed to clear up fine. She spent the last couple weeks at the farm we got her from and now that she is home, she has this cough again. I don't know if I should treat it again with Ivercare or take her to the vet.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how long was she home without any symptoms? could be that she was reinfected at the place you got her from if it is indeed lungworms

8. PotterWatch

PotterWatch New Member

Jan 23, 2009
    So. California
    I hadn't noticed any coughing for a couple weeks before she went there and she was there exactly two weeks.