Help with diagnosis please! Forgive the long post

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by agoatstolemyheart, Sep 23, 2017.

1. agoatstolemyheart

agoatstolemyheart New Member

Sep 23, 2017

Please help!! We have a 7-week old male...
    Please help!! We have a 7-week old male goat (mother was a Saanen and father a Nigerian Dwarf). The mother would not dilate during labor so her twins had to be delivered by c-section (mom was put down, very sad). The other twin, a female, is totally blind but thriving. The male however started yelping while urinating at about 10 days old. A few nights later he started screaming and kept it up all night. We thought he was constipated as he hadn't pooped all day and gave him several enemas, but he kept screaming. I took him to the vet the next day: an x-ray showed a lot of gas in his intestines and a large dense mass (about 2 inches long, looked like a smooth oval stone, up near his right kidney); he had a high fever of 106.7; and showed signs of pneumonia. The vet administered fluids subQ and prescribed Nuflor to be administered by IM once every other day (3 doses total), and one dose of banamine, IM. I had never given an IM injection before so I may have screwed it up. The first Nuflor injection (in right side shoulder/neck area) he screamed in pain of course. That night I administered the banamine (left side neck area) but may have gone too deep with the needle? On day 3 I gave the second injection of Nuflor (again on right side), and he screamed bloody murder. 20 min later I tried to feed him milk but he had a seizure (lowered head, pupils dilated, seized up, eyes darting from side to side, and fell on his side while kicking really fast). He had several smaller seizures that night. After that he was never the same. He was feeble, growth stunted, needed a lot of help to suckle the bottle, had weakness/stiffness in his legs, could barely stand up, basically sat still a lot while holding his head as if looking up at the sky, and was generally in distress and poor condition. He became dehydrated and seemed constipated so gave him milk of magnesia and an enema, which seemed to provide some relief. I gave him a dose of selenium/vitamin E paste (but he had already gotten a dose of this earlier, as we live in a low selenium area in WA state... Is it possible I caused selenium toxicity?). Also started him on treatments (given orally via dropper or milk bottle) of: B1 tablets crushed in liquid B complex (human vitamins), baking soda, pedialyte (but not much as he hates it), Probios, goat minerals, and nutridrench. I massaged him often and he gradually improved over the next month. He started eating leaves, was drinking milk well, gained weight, started cudding, and was walking around if stiffly. Occasionally he would cry out in pain and would grind his teeth, but as of yesterday, even though he was still walking stiffly, he was frisky and even doing some awkward running/trotting. He really has fought hard to live. Yesterday at around noon though, he suddenly started screaming in pain while walking around outside with the herd. He suddenly became almost paralyzed. His hind legs became weak and his forelegs useless, especially the left one, just totally buckling under him. He could barely lift his head. Eyes wide and bulging slightly. His body is stiff and he cries out a lot. Have had to keep him propped in a sitting position using blankets etc. He still has an appetite for milk, and he's urinating and pooping just fine. But I think we may have to put him down. Many times I thought he was at deaths door but he would always pull through. I hate to put him down. The goat vet is closed today so if we have to put him down, it will be at some non-goat vet. I love him very much, he has a sweet and fighting spirit. :( Any ideas about what the heck is wrong with him or if there's any hope at this point??

Note: he has been on cows milk since day 1... but I suspect we may have over-fed him during his first couple weeks. I just don't know. Also we kept him and his sister in a pen in our home at night, and she (being blind and quite hyper) would often step on him or bump into him. But they would cry when separated and he seemed to be improving so we kept them together.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  2. Davon

Davon New Member

Sep 21, 2017
    North Carolina
    Sounds like you have a very sick goat. He's had a rough start and you've put a lot of work into him.

I don't think it is possible to cause selenium toxicity with two doses of oral gel. If you gave it every month for a year and lived in a high selenium area, maybe.

As far as the needle going to deep in his neck, I highly doubt that this caused any of his problems either.

Everything that he has going on makes me think that he is very seriously ill. Maybe septic from the kidney stone blocking one ureter? I don't know, it could be something else. I think you have done everything you could. From what you are telling me, I would recommend putting him down. I hate saying that as I am sure it hurts you a lot to think of it. I just have a hard time seeing him getting better and staying healthy. Do what you think is best.

3. agoatstolemyheart

Sep 23, 2017
    Thanks for your reply! Yes, sadly we decided to have him put down. :(

As for the 'stone' in the X-ray, the vet thought he was way too young to have kidney stones or urinary calculi. The vet had no idea what the mass was. Guess we will never know.

4. Honsby

Honsby Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    So, would one be asking for such troubles when they choose to mate goats so separated along the genetic tree, e.g., like mating a chihuahua with a great dane?

5. agoatstolemyheart

Sep 23, 2017
    Well, I have not come across any literature that states there is a problem with crossing these two breeds. Have you? The vet thought that the labor complications were caused by hypercalcemia and this tough labor caused problems with the kids. Crossing different breeds of the same species should not cause problems unless there is a great difference in size, per the vet. But maybe you can point me in the direction of some info I can read up on? Thanks. BTW I did not breed these goats.

6. agoatstolemyheart

Sep 23, 2017
    Thank you!!! I loved him so very much

toth boer goats likes this.
  7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I know, we do get attached. :(

8. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout Active Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    It is not from crossing those two breeds, that's for sure. People do that all the time, I have a Mini-Nubian (Nubian X Nigerian Dwarf) and two Mini-Lamanchas (Lamancha X Nigerian Dwarf) myself, and they are completely normal/healthy.

I am so sorry that you had to put him down, he was fighter. You did a great job with him while he lived, and for that I applaud you.

9. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I am so sorry you lost him (and his mom). I know how attached you can get. Sometimes, no matter how much is done, the baby just can't make it. Again, so sorry for your loss.

10. lovinglife

lovinglife Member

Jun 6, 2013
    Southern Idaho
    Were they premies? Did they get colostrum? Almost sounds like they might have been a little early, any idea why the doe is blind? I am so sorry for your loss, so sad but something we all have to deal with at times.

11. Honsby

Honsby Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    No, I don't know of any references other than here really. It's the fact that there are 'labor complications' which lead me to believe that it's a possible issue. Plus there's always that point of discussion where a single post can begin the conversation.

There are plenty of references elsewhere about humans. The mother brings the child full term only to not be able to have 'natural' child birth (even with induced labor) -- a condition due to a defective bloodline.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017