Help with diarrhea in a doe

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by April2008, Sep 16, 2008.

1. April2008

April2008 Guest

Jul 8, 2008
    I am new to your board as a poster but I read daily. Thank you as I have learned so much.

My question and concern is I have a Nubian (mix) doe that I rescued in April. Not sure of her age maybe a couple years old. I noticed she had diarrhea last night when I turned her and her buddy (a pigmy doe) out to play. I wormed both of them June 22 of this year. They have access to a salt block, fresh water, grass hay and they get alpha/grass pellets morning and night.

As for her energy level it is still the same.

I live in Norco California. The weather has been a little crazy lately. Hot one week and then the next it was on the cool side. Now it is hot again. Could that have something to do with it as well?

I was reading that you can give them pepto if so how much would you recommend?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Kelli

2. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Hi Kelli & wlcome!

I give mine 2 or 3 cc pepto once or twice a day for a couple of days, it usually clears it right up. Like within 24hrs.
    If you have some Sulfadimethoxine (sp) 12.5% you can add 1ML per 5lbs the first day right with the pepto, then days 2-5 it is 1ML per 10lbs. (I bought a small bottle from the vet)
    I have only needed one dose of this.
    You are right, there can be the stress from sudden temp changes.
    You might even want to worm her again after her berries are back to normal.
    Let us know how she fares!

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    what color are her eyelids? if they are pale or white then she needs to be wormed. If they are pink then more then likey it is not worms.

As to the pepto -- I give 3ccs to a kid so that or more should be fine (I basically give a childs dose to a kid and an adults dose to an adult)

4. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Good call Stacey eyelid & gum check didnt enter my mind!

5. April2008

April2008 Guest

Jul 8, 2008
    Thank you both very much. I am at work right now as soon as I get home I will check her gums and eye lids.

One more question I forgot to ask. My pigmy doe not sure of her age as I got her from the auction back in May. She was just days away from starving to death. They said she could be pregnant. Still not sure about that yet.

I have noticed she's been coughing but it almost sounds like she is chocking. Anything I can do to help her out?

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Hello Kelli and welcome to the Goat spot. (even if you are not totally new here, but a new poster).

I wanted to say is it at all possible to get a fecal float on her? What color is the Diarrhea? Does it have a smell to it like it stinks pretty bad?
    I would not give her any Sulfadimethoxine (sp) 12.5% until you know if she has a Cocci problem. Now to me that is like treating someone for a cold that MIGHT get one. Please get a fecal on her. Now like Stacey said if her gums look good, then she might not have a worm problem but that does not rule out Cocci.

7. April2008

April2008 Guest

Jul 8, 2008
    Her diarrhea is a dark black and no smell to it.

I will call my horse vet and see if they treat goats and or get a referral to a vet that does treat goats.

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Hi Kelli, and Welcome. I would agree with having the fecal done on her also, you say she is a few years old? Is the diarreah totally liquid or is it like a tootsie roll? The pepto would help her a good bit to control it but as you had mentioned the weather being so mixed up could have a factor in this also, your pygmy is normal? Some goats are super sensitive to the slightest change and others do just fine, so this could be a case of her eating something that didn't agree with her....congrats on saving them from a possible ill fate. :greengrin:

9. susanne

susanne Guest

Nov 12, 2007
  10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Since both came from a sale barn, it's really difficult to say what they may have been their for...wether it be just someone who took care of them as pets and just couldn't care for them anymore or worse , a cull from a herd....I'd say the coughing in the pygmy could be a case of dusty hay or even lungworm, best to have a vet check them out and give his opinion, since they have filled out in your care it may be best to have a regular worming regimen and yes, please make sure they have a good loose mineral...this is a simple and inexpensive fix to many types of symptoms they have. Most of all though....love them the way you have been....any being thrives when they are loved, 2 legged or 4 :hug:

11. April2008

April2008 Guest

Jul 8, 2008
    Thanks again for all of your help.

I gave April (my sick doe) pepto last night. This morning she already seemed to be on the rode to recovery. Her eyelids and gums were pink in color last night as well.

I will have a vet out to examine/test both my girls.

Actually only May (my pigmy goat) came from the auction. April came from two doors down from my house. She was tied on a dog leash to a block wall for 4-5 months.

I will have to look back on my notes to confirm the name of the wormer. Should I worm again?

Thank you,

Kelli

12. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Any wormer used should be dosed again 10 days after the initial worming...this ensures that any eggs that are missed will be killed with the second dose. Glad that you were able to get April from the neighbor...most people don't realize that a goat just can't be left tied up, and it was good of you to know that she needed a buddy..if you can...I know I speak for everyone here, I'd love to see piccies of April and May

If they were last wormed in June and the eyelids are nice and pink and they aren't looking bony with big bellies, I'd say wait for the fecal to come back from the vet...they may not need to be wormed again til Spring. When and if you do worm, make sure you do it again in 10 days.

13. April2008

April2008 Guest

Jul 8, 2008
    Can I ask one more thing. I would love to post a couple pictures of of my girls but not sure how to post pictures. Thank you again.

14. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Stacey has an excellent step by step process in the "Photogenic" section of the forum....fairly simple but can still be confusing....so ask away!

15. April2008

April2008 Guest

Jul 8, 2008
    Re: Pic Added Help with diarrhea in a doe

April's Snow Flake (April for short) is the white and tan doe. Moody May (May for short) is the black and white pygmy. May's name came about due to the fact that she might be pregnant and I got her in May.

As of today April is just about 100% back to normal. Thank you for all of the help.

The pictures were taken a couple months ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Hee hee.....you might want to try and resize them....some with dial up might not be able to download them....and Miss May looks like she has Nigerian Dwarf in her,pygmies don't come in her color. April is a very pretty color, and she has a very sweet face.