Help with doe who kidded and isn't giving milk

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Cinder, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    This is a question about my 3 yr. old Nubian doe who freshened Wednesday morning this past week. The doeling died within 24 hours - the doe wasn't "supposed" to be due for 2 to 3 more weeks.

Since the baby was dead Thursday morning I started milking the doe that morning. I got maybe a cup of colostrum. That night I got less colostrum. Over the next two days I've gotten less and less, it changed to milk yesterday morning. I got maybe 1/8 cup last night.

I thought that a doe would bag up after birth within a day or two. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to do something else? She's getting free choice grass and alfalfa hay, loose minerals, baking soda and Klassy goat while on the milk stand. Which, by the way, has been another story - she'd never been milked before and hates having her teats touched. She's getting better but I still have to tie her down and have someone else stand by her and talk to her while I milk her.

Ideas? I got her specifically to have another milking doe.

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    How often are you milking her?

I would take her temperature.

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Maybe she has more kids in there??? :shrug: :shrug:

4. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Can you feel her side to see if she has more babies??
    It is a true guessing game,and w/out an xray, hard to decide. If she is ill, she
    should see the vet. If she is not ill , I use mother's milk tea found at health food stores.
    I used this on a doe that wouldn't produce and walaaa we got milk! Just make
    a strong cup of tea, and add it to her water. It has milk thistle, and a few other good herbs in it..

But it could very well be that she has another baby for you!
    Wouldn't that be a blessing for you after losing the first.
    By the way, I am so sorry about the one you tried so
    hard to save.!

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Cinder, I am not a dairy person as you know but let me ask you.
    I know you gave her molasses waster after the baby was born, are you still offering it to her? I do that to all me does just so they can keep their energy up from all that milk let down and things, plus it help them produce more milk. I had babies the other night and her bag was very small. I take her molasses waster every time I go out and see her and she drinks it right down. Now she has a huge bag.
    Did she pass her placenta after the baby was born? Have you eve heard about bouncing the doe to see if you can feel more babies. I Is she still look pregnant? Try putting some warm wet towels on her utter, it would be best if they are soaked in some lavender scent but it does not have to be, just warm water. I know when my kids were nursing and I get in the shower and that warm water hit me :shocked: , well that is all it took and my milk let down. :ROFL:
    Cinder I will be out in the barn all day and I will have my cell if you need to get a hold of me at all.

6. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Is it possible for a doe to kid and still have another kid in her four days later without obvious signs of being sick? She did pass the placenta after the doeling was born. She looks really thin now, I can't feel another baby in there by holding my hand against her right side but ... what do I know?... this is my first experience with all this.

I'm milking her every morning and night - 12 hours apart.

She has been calling and looking for her baby 24/7 until yesterday when she finally stopped calling constantly. So, I know she is stressed. I did only give her the warm molasses water after the birth - she only drank about two swallows and refused anymore. I've offered it to her before when it was so cold out and she didn't want it then either. I will go offer her some more. My other does inhale it! I have given her Nutri Drench on Thursday and Probiotics Friday morning, both of them only once.

I will take her temp in a little while - that will be a two person job so I'll need my hubbies help and he's not available at the moment.

I will try some of the other ideas you all have offered.

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Well I had a doe who stopped making milk. But she had a severe infection. We have no idea where, but guess it was a uterine infection. Once she got over the infection her milk production came back up. So I would keep a really close eye on her.

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Cinder,if she passed the placenta then she is done. Also if she does not look pregnant. Even thought this was your first experience with kidding YOU still know her better then any of us at all. As for the Molasses water, I have some that will not touch it at all and other that will fight for every last sip. So if she will not drink it that is fine. Did she drink the water with Karo syrup in it that you tried? If so try that.

9. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I just checked her temp. It was 102.8, so even if my thermometer is off a little I wouldn't think she has an infection?

Nope, she didn't want the Karo water either.

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she is depressed and thinks you are taking her babies milk.

Is she drinking? Make sure they is warm water for her to drink and give her plenty of grain too. I have found that Nutri drench is also a good booster.

She doesnt sound sick, just depressed. It may take a while and by then she may not be producing milk, but I hope not :(

11. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Montana
    Is she eating her hay as usual? When a doe aborts, it's not unusual for her to make less milk than if she'd gone full term. If she's not showing sighs of milk fever, I'd just keep milking her twice a day and her production should go up.

12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    She did not abort the baby,she was born and lived almost 24 hours.

13. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Montana
    Even though the kid lived for a day, the doe still kidded early. This is likely why she isn't producing alot of milk.