Help with dry hacking cough in young doe.

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by WalnutGroveFarm, Aug 26, 2009.

1. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Well I have a six month old doe that just started coughing. Nobody else is doing this. It is a dry cough. Im thinking it is lungworms but not sure if any of the wormers I have will work on this. I have ivemoc plus, safeguard, and I have that pour on Eprinex I think its called, its in the blue box. Anyways will any of these work for lungworms. And if they do what would be the dosing for a 45 pound doe, and how often should I give it.

Could the coughing be from something else do you think she is trying to get sick maybe, it has been getting pretty cool in the evenings. Should I try something else first? I have nutridrench, probios, b complex, im lost and just dont know what to do. Thanks for any help I get.

2. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I have a young wether (7 month old) doing the same thing right now, started about 4 nights ago when the weather started cooling at night........if you want to treat for lungworms, I treat with Ivomec at 1cc per 34lbs and dose again 10 days later. It might just be the weather or something in the air causing allergies. My little guy had bad case of pnuemonia when he was little, I think he has some lung damage.......I treated him a month and half ago for lungworms, but I saw no difference. He had finally quite coughing but started again this week......mainly in the mornings. I give my little guy a child's dose of benydrel and it helps which makes me think mine has allergies. Hope this helps! :wink:

Oops.....almost forgot.....get a temp on him and you might have a fecal ran, only thing is they can't tell if lungworms with regular fecal, but you would know if he has other worms.

3. DebianDog

DebianDog New Member

Aug 9, 2009
    Fecals are not that expensive but you need someone that knows what they are doing.

4. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    DebianDog....thank you for posting that info, very good :) !

5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    :thumb: Thanks DebianDog excellent info!

6. powderhooves

powderhooves New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    I've purchased Vet RX from Caprines I think. I've used it with good results and it's an all natural remedy.