help with Fair Showmanship

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by moday, Aug 21, 2008.

1. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    So we made it through our first fair with goats and chickens the past two days. It was a small community fair based on our county in SE michigan. It was not part of 4-H, but we were not as prepared as we should have been for showmanship.

Does anyone know what is the typical info a judge is looking for in the 6-8 year old class? It seems like breed and birthdate was on the judges mind, where we head been studying all the body cuts and such.

Is any of this spelled out somewhere for future fairs? Our wether took my son for a ride in the ring, but he did his best to hang on. It seems unfair to have a big goat vs a small goat in the same class. I know some full grown wethers are real calm. Ours is just a handful, but it's the only goat that he had to show!

2. gnomes'n'goats

gnomes'n'goats New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Under a mushroom
    In showmanship, you should know everything about your own goat, its breed and know the basic goat knowledge.
    For showmanship, you should pick your calmest and most easy goat to handle. Conformity to the breed standard is not that important at all in showmanship. Make sure your goat is well clipped, groomed, hooves trimmed and every nook and cranny should be clean.
    When you do showmanship, you should be wearing appropriate clothing, everything tucked in and clean, hair out of your face, no gum chewing, speak clearly, NO hats, And always ALWAYS keep your eyes glued to the judge.
    Thats all I can think of for now... :)

3. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    this was our first fair too
    my 11 year old showed my 2 year old doe
    he had to know when she was born
    how many times she had freshened
    how many babies each time and what genders they were
    my 16 year old showed one of this springs doelings
    she had to know birthdate
    how many in the kidding and what genders
    and basic body parts

showmanship is judged on the child not the goat
    knowledge and how they handle the animal

4. farmgirls

farmgirls New Member

Jul 28, 2008
    For 6-8 year olds, the judge will most likely only ask VERY simple body parts such as withers, hocks, etc. At that age however, they are most likely to get asked the name, age, gender, and breed of their goat. If he is showing a dairy goat, he should be in all white. If he is showing meat goats, he should be wearing black pants, white shirt. If you have a gentle goat, it is much easier to do well and focus on presenting the goat and yourself well to the judge.
    HTH!
    ~Bethany~

5. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
  6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

In a peewee or primary class they should know basic parts, eye muzzle ear withers hock hoof barrel. They should know how old the goat the goats breed how many freshenings. Juniors should know basically all the parts all the breeds of the type of got they are showing i.e. dairy meat etc.
    Sr. and Int. should be quite knowledgable on breeds charectistics parts, manouvers etc. I had judges asking to tell them parts in relation to other parts, i.e. the crops are just below and behind the withers over the shoulder about even with the heart girth.
    on thing our county requires for kids is to use an animal they are matched with size wise. a siex year old should not be showing a two hundred lb doe. All kids under six must show a kid, pygmy or nigie.
    beth

7. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    out here no kids can own/show livestock ( other than nigerians at open shows with their families) unless they are 9 years or older

8. Hailee's Herd

Hailee's Herd New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Michigan
    moday, what county fair did you go to?

9. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    It was the Chelsea Community Fair.

We had a blast!

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    When I judge the Junior or Pee Wee's I ask very simple things to the kids. If they an answer them all then I go harder.
    1. What is your goats name? (very simple)
    2. What do you feed your goat? (looking to see if they have any idea on what they feed. Some will even say the pounds of grain if they feed it and they include free choice minerals, but most just say hay and grain)
    3. point the ears, nose, simple things like that.

The main thing I look at is are the kids between me and the goat. No they will more then likely not be all the time but are they aware that they are on the wrong side and do they move right away.

BUT the main thing. Are they smiling? Does it look like they are having fun? How big is that smile?

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    THAT IS WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT AT A YOUNG AGE LIKE THAT. CONGRATULATIONS :stars: