help with Fair

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by moday, Jul 23, 2008.

1. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    I've got 3 Boer Goats. This will be our first attempt at a fair this summer (mid-late August).

Anyhow, two were born in 2007 and one in 2008. I think that they have meetings at night to decide how poorly they can walk with a human.

Can you guys help me here? The last year goats are so strong, that I feel it will be a disaster for my kids to try and take them to a fair. The new born (May 2008) may be ok.

The goats seem to put the brakes on whenever they feel and have a mind of their own. We tried training the older ones last summer, and had little success. Last years are a doe and a wether. The wether sometimes walks ok, but the doe is part mule. She would rather lay down and twist her head off than be led by a collar/leash.

I have tried pull the collar up near the ears, and doesn't affect the big goats.

How about tieing them to a tree (safely) or a wall. Does that work?

Looking for any advice! Thanks in advance

We have a month more to prepare, do I have a chance????

2. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    some boers are stubborn and I have seen some use the prong collars at the fair. I have one but I dont use it anymore. We use chain collars placedright behind the jaw and ears. It works well for us. We also start to work with the goats as kids...use treats to coax them to walk with you and also pulling the tail up over the back works too.

you can tie them up but stay right with them until they are no longer tied. I broke a buck to lead that way. I put a collar on him and tied him to a tree with enough slack to move freely and fight the lead. Just dont leave them tied unsupervised for any reason. They can easily choke themselves.