The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
IMG_9330.JPG
I'd like to breed my girls soon so I sent off a fecal on 2 goats from my herd and combined the stool so I'd get an idea of what the general organisms are the I'm dealing with. I got back my fecal results, I attached the full report so you all can see.

My girls are on free choice loose Purina Cattle mineral, kelp, Himalayan salt block, and weekly Replamin. They will be copper bolused most likely this upcoming week.

Basically there's a small amount of Strongyles seen on the slide, and many Entamoeba cysts.

I am on the fence treating for the strongyles. Their FAMACHA and body condition are both good throughout my herd and I check their eyelids often. However, what do you recommend for the Entamoeba? I cannot find other names for this organism, everything I've read says that it is a protozoan. The small note below the results says it's a "commensal organism of the GI tract," so does this mean that it's just a normal part of a goats gut flora??

If these were your goats and your fecal results what would you do? Any input is appreciated

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
View attachment 161697 I'd like to breed my girls soon so I sent off a fecal on 2 goats from my herd and combined the stool so I'd get an idea of what the general organisms are the I'm dealing with. I got back my fecal results, I attached the full report so you all can see.

My girls are on free choice loose Purina Cattle mineral, kelp, Himalayan salt block, and weekly Replamin. They will be copper bolused most likely this upcoming week.

Basically there's a small amount of Strongyles seen on the slide, and many Entamoeba cysts.

I am on the fence treating for the strongyles. Their FAMACHA and body condition are both good throughout my herd and I check their eyelids often. However, what do you recommend for the Entamoeba? I cannot find other names for this organism, everything I've read says that it is a protozoan. The small note below the results says it's a "commensal organism of the GI tract," so does this mean that it's just a normal part of a goats gut flora??

If these were your goats and your fecal results what would you do? Any input is appreciated
Just my take. Since you are getting ready to breed... i would treat even though the numner is low for the strongyles. Someone else will most likely chime in a d give a definate yes or no on this though.

The cysts.. from what i can tell it is ecoli.. if this is the case yes treat. Because ecoli is bad in itself a d you have a high amount there. Call the lab and ask specifically what it is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts