The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, first time I've been through this before. I have a 1 year old buck (will be turning 2 soon) he is a kinder so he's small. I have an almost 3 mo oberhasli buckling. These 2 need to be roommates/hopefully buddies. Right now I have all the boys 2 oberhasli wethers, 2 wether sheep and the buck in the field by the house. The oberhasli buckling is in with the girls until completely weaned (we have only a week to go)

Question is should I give them some play dates with him first, or just put him in the boys pen after he is weaned? I will be removing the sheep once this happens, to go and eat up another field down by the girls. I did have a couple play dates last week, and well they didn't turn out so great, my buckling kept getting out to find me:( I have fixed that problem with another electric fence wire.

Thanks!

Janeen

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess try putting them together for a short period of time and see what happens.
Yeah, I think I'm just going to have to do that. I can't risk my bucking breeding one of my kinder does. I'm thinking of just taking the sheep out for now, and then eventually taking the oberhasli wethers out after a week or so. I have 2 does due next month so the barn well it will be a little overcrowded but I think it will work. I'm trying to get the other field munched down:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
If any of them have horns take that into consideration. The horned bucks have an advantage. I would also take collars off in the beginning. One of mine hooked the collar of the other with his horn and almost strangled him.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If any of them have horns take that into consideration. The horned bucks have an advantage. I would also take collars off in the beginning. One of mine hooked the collar of the other with his horn and almost strangled him.
Neither buck or buckling has horns. My wethers do, so I think they will go to a different pasture with the sheep tomorrow:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts