Help with goat minerals.

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by WalnutGroveFarm, Oct 1, 2009.

1. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Hi, I need some advice. I have been feeding Manna pro goat mineral to my goats since ive had them which has been over a year. But it is only sold in a 8lb bag. This doesnt last that long. Well the feed mill the next town over sells Kent brand and Hubbard Feeds brand. The kent brand only has 1,000 ppms of copper that seems kinda low to me. But I looked up the other kind and here is what it has in it.

Calcium (CA) min 14.6%
    Calcium (CA) man 17.5%
    Phosphorus (P) min 7.0%
    Salt (NAC1) min 20.0%
    Salt (NAC1) max 24.0%
    Copper (CU) min 1,500 ppm
    Copper (CU) man 1,800 ppm
    Selenium (SE) min 26.0ppm
    Vitamin A min 200,000 lu/lb
    Vitamnin D min 40,000lu/lb
    Vitamin E min 400 lu/lb

Does this look good to any of you. Do any of you use this kind of goat minerals. Also some of my goats are pregnant changing their minerals wont hurt them will it? I think their website did say it had added zinc in it and something else cant remember. Also when changing minerals do you have to do it like feed slowly. I know alot of questions and im sorry. But really need some help with this. Cause the minerals im buying now im paying almost ten a bag for 8lbs. and with this other kind it would be 15 for 25lb. Thanks in advance for all the help.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Those values are close to the ones in the mineral I use...Golden Blend from Hoeggars....what I don't see in yours is Iron, Cobalt, Iodine, Magnesium or potassium.

Cost per pound is a big deal....and I can see where 8# just doesn't last as long as 25# would.

3. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Never mind they called and said they cant get it no more. So now I dont know what to do. I need to find something that I can get close to me hate to have to order from a catalog. But around here the most copper you can get in the bags are 1,000ppms. Can you use cow minerals are do they not have good enough stuff in them. Thanks for the help.

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I used the pasture minerals from TSC for years on my goats....but because I have such a high iron content in my well water and my property was stripmined leading to high iron in the soil/plants I went to a higher goats specific mineral.

The pasture mineral is made by DuMor and runs around $25 for 50#

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    If they sell.... loose salts and minerals for "cattle" ......that is what I use.... :wink: :greengrin:

6. grandmajo

grandmajo Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    If you have a store that carries Cargill products, they make a great mineral for cattle that works well for goats. It's called Right Now Onyx. Comes in a 50# bag and it is a grey mineral like the Manna Pro, so it's not loaded down with iron.

I'm like Liz, we already have iron in our water, so we don't want to be adding more in the mineral, otherwise it will block the copper absorption.

7. Zelda

Zelda Guest

May 2, 2009
    We are in a copper deficient area, I feed loose cattle mineral & then add a bit of copper sulfate to the minerals. I mix 2-3 cups mineral with about a half tsp of copper sulfate. That was what our Purina guy recommended for our area. So far, so good.