help with goats for a fair

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by moday, Aug 2, 2008.

1. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    My goats are walking better, but now I found out that there is alot more to do to prep an animal for the fair.

Can anyone give some advice on shampoo? I was told by my mill that dog shampoo works fine. Another person suggested horse shampoo, but when I went down the aisle, there were about 40 bottles to choose from.

Also, what about trimming goats. We have Boer goats, and I've been told to trim them. How and why? Our dog clippers never work too good on the hound, so I assume the goat hair also won't work.

What exactly do they mean by a paint brush tail?

Thanks in advance!

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Baby shampoo works just fine but I'm sure those that bath their goats often will have something else they use, your dog's clippers will work too you may just need a new blade...I use the standard Wahl pet clippers, they don't work so good on my Cocker Spaniel but they worked great on my nigi's.
    A paintbrush tail means to clip the tail and just leave the hair at the tip of it. Other than just "playing around" with clipping and bathing stinky bucks, I don't have much experience at all with showing.

3. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    For clipping, you clip from the front knees up and just above the hock on the back legs. In other words, you need to leave the hair longer below the knees and hocks, also trim the hair around the hoof, just to the top of the hoof. Horns in our area either have to be tipped to dime size in diameter or the goats can be dehorned or disbudded. here is a link to a picture of what it should look like....they clipped their goat really close. If you clip your goat 2 weeks before fair, the hair will have time to grow a little and wont show any lines.

http://www.clublambpage.com/spruill/images/2006/11-30-06/Reserve-GrandAZ.jpg

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Ok, gunna tell you right now...Cowboy Magic, horse shampoo, best stuff ever!!! Has a picture of a cowboy's head w/ hat on it, comes in white bottle. It gives your goat the shiniest, solftest, slickest fur ever! Great stuff!!! You can usually get it at any horse/tack/feed/livestock store.

Paintbrush tail...you clip on through the tail but a little bit in you leave fur, it flares out and gives it a paintbrush look. Not really sure how to explain it. Maybe someone has a pic???

How to trim :shrug: Just trim...practice, practice, practice. It's more like shaving, but not really completely shaving, if you get what i'm saying. It shows a goats build, conformation, and overall appearance. I would just try your clippers out on the goat, the hair will grow back so it's no big deal.

Now i'm not sure if you give them a real good clipping, i'm a nigerian dwarf/ pygmy person so not quite sure what to do with boers??

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Clip against the grain of the hair.

leave hair at the end of the goats tail (dont clip the entire tail).

If your clippers havent' been oiled in a while try oiling them. This will make them work better and give a smoother cut.

dont use people shampoo on goats. Any dog shampoo will do or horse shampoo, there is no right or wrong shampoo. I like to get the whitening kind for my white goats.

6. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    When clipping the tail use your thumb to measure how much hair to leave. I thumb length to a thumb and a half is what we leave. Then trim the end straight off. If you would like I can make a video. We are going to be teaching are new 4-hers how to clip this week. Shelly

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

i use really cheap suave shampoo and conditioner. i bathe them well and then get them wet and put conditioner all over them, then leave it on them for about five minutes then rinse them really really well. their coats are always sooo shiney and soft. when they are completly dry i spray them with a little bit of lazer sheen.
    beth

8. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    here is my daughter kiara with butch at our fair
    (he took first in his weight class)
    check out his tail
    see how it is shaved but for the tip then the tip is flattened out?
    [​IMG]

9. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Shampoos I use are, mane and tail, goat shampoo (the oatmeal kind), baby shampoo for the head, I have used human shampoo and Joy dish soap on them. I forgot to add that we use shine on by mane and tail after we bathe our goats.